Thursday, September 18, 2008

This Week's Adventures in Food

Since coming back from Puerto Rico I've become really creative/adventurous with our dinners. Sometimes I try to recreate things that I ate in Puerto Rico and sometimes I try to recreate dishes at other favorite restaurants that I've had. All in all they have gone over just fine with my gallbladder and stick with my dietary restrictions thereof. I also discovered since coming back from vacation that I have more normal "digestion" when I actually include wheat in my diet. So, they last few days I have tried to add it back in to help bind things back up again. Did I skirt around the issue enough to get the point across? I hope. :)

Anyway, on Monday night I decided to recreate a dish I saw on a blog from a couple who suffer with a lot of food limitations: wheat, gluten, onion, garlic, and some other things (can't remember them all). I saw this recipe on their website and attempted to make it. The dish calls for mushroom broth braised fish, with porcini mushrooms on top of a bed of spinach and rice noodles, topped with tomato. I ended up doing more of a poach on the fish because I used too much broth, but the end product was alright. My husband loved it, I thought I would make some alterations the next time around to up the flavor quotient.


Wednesday night I made a dish inspired by a noodle dish I had at Sushi Popo (on one of the those random nights I ordered something other than my usual vegetarian combo). I sauteed up some veggies with fresh grated garlic and ginger, and some teriyaki sauce. I then added some Chinese yellow noodles at the end and some sesame seeds. This dish was good. The noodles were quite salty, but tasty nonetheless. I had a rough day digestively that day, and I think this helped to solidify everything again, while still including veggies. The leftovers taste just as good, if I do say so myself.


Today, I decided to attempt to recreate some of my favorite foods from Puerto Rico. Dinner had three pieces to it, the first of which was a salad with fresh diced mango and tomatoes in a salty balsamic and olive oil dressing. It was heavenly. The second part was roasted potatoes, seasoned with salt and pepper and some herbs in olive oil. It was our favorite part of the meal. To round the meal out we had pan cooked halibut. I cooked it in a butter and olive oil combination, which worked out pretty good. Next time I probably won't use as much butter, but tasted good nonetheless.


Today's dinner was by far the best of the week, and my gallbladder liked it the best too, so it was win win situation. I just don't know how I am going to top it tomorrow night. I don't think it's possible!

No comments: