Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Are we really that old?

So far so good on eating healthy while traveling to San Juan, but I can't say it's been easy to do. Before leaving for San Juan I broke down and ate some McDonald's for lunch since we couldn't find a Quizno's or something else healthy-ish that's not Subway (gives me allergic reactions from I have no idea what). I can't say the McDonald's went over great, but it went over okay thanks to my supplements. Monday morning we planned ahead and picked up some strawberries and bagels the night before to eat for breakfast. We managed to catch an earlier non-stop flight to San Juan and I was able to avoid having to eat airport food for lunch and held out by eating some seasame seed crackers (gluten free) until we could eat a slightly late lunch at the hotel. I took pictures of both lunch and dinner from Monday so I will talk about those meals (which were awesome) once I am able to post the pix.

Today, we ate breakfast at the hotel and they had some wonderful blueberry pancakes and fresh berries on the side that I could eat. It was very tasty and the pancakes were cooked perfectly. For lunch I ate a chicken wrap that had chicken, avocado, sauteed spinach with garlic and some mayo (though, had I known there was mayo in it, I would have told them to leave it off just as I did with the cheese). I was still digesting that meal six hours later. Granted it was tasty, but I blame the mayo on slowing everything down. For dinner we tried a restaurant that the concierge recommended that looked good on paper, but once we got there it was a disappointment. They had a lot of fish, but it was WHOLE fish, not just filets. What was available in the filets that they did offer was much more limited and didn't appeal. So we tried out the tapas they offered. Not so much. The roasted vegetables tasted very vinegary, like they had come out of a can and I sent them back. The mushrooms with garlic and olive oil were good, but not outstanding, as was the chorizo with peppers and onions. What was good was the dessert we had and I will share a pic of that later. Since I ate so little there, I ended up getting a salad back at the hotel, as well as a MUCH better tasting mojito than I had at the restaurant.

So, two and a half days in I am making it through our vacation and sticking to the diet. What is troubling me most is how sore I am after (stupidly) walking from our hotel to Old San Juan. My husband and I thought it would be about a mile walk, and it was more like three. Needless to say, we are sore from walking all that way, which is why I am asking, "are we really that old?" You would think three plus miles would be no big deal, but apparently my calves and thighs and his knees don't remember how young we are! As a result, we are spending the night doing nothing, which I guess is okay, especially since I am attempting to fight off some rashes from the sun. I keep forgetting to stock up on massive amounts of vitamin E supplements to see if I can fend off the sun rashes with that. At least I have some serious hydrocortisone... fingers crossed that will clear up today's round of rashes before tomorrow when we spend the day outside again in San Juan and at the pool!!!

No comments: