Sunday, September 14, 2008

Back to reality

Late Friday night (actually, it ended up being Saturday afternoon) I came back from vacation to San Juan, PR. Vacation was good. Food was awesome. Gallbladder issues- negligible. Overall, the trip was a success for both mental and physical health.

Funny thing is I actually had some digestive issues last night after trying to recreate one of the meals we ate on vacation. Not sure if it was the wine, or something in the risotto I made, or just that I overate a little, but my esophagus started to hurt like I was having an allergic reaction or something. I took some of my "stomach acid" supplement and that seemed to take the edge off and I drank my liver and gallbladder detox tinctures and the discomfort eventually went away, without resorting to Benedryl. I wish I knew what caused it. But such is my life of eating... random reactions from everyday things, usually with little to no idea as why it happens. I'm guessing that I overate.

Anyway, I was really successful in sticking to my diet on vacation, with only minimal deviations. I was really proud of myself and I have a ton of food pix to share of what I ate. It did take some effort at some restaurants to stick to the diet, but I made it work and took great care in selecting which restaurants to eat at so as to make it work. Pix are coming in separate posts.

The one downside to the vacation was that I did get some serious rashes on my shoulders, chest, and upper back from the sun... a sort of heat rash that I regularly get every summer when I get exposure to the sun. It's kind of like a heat rash, but it's super super itchy and will spread rapidly (much in the manner of a heat rash) if I put too much cream on it or don't give it enough cool air exposure. Here is the improvements since last year though: the rash was confined to my shoulder/chest area for the most part, I developed no hives on my legs, and the rash has gone away on it's own quickly with having only taken a single Benedryl to help the cause. Last year after vacation I had hives all over my legs, back, shoulders, arms, chest, and pretty much anywhere I had sun exposure (despite wearing a ton of sunscreen), and it took not only massive amounts of Benedryl, put also some prescription strength creams, and heavy dosages of prednisone to get it to somewhat clear up. Acupuncture has definitely made a difference there, and I can't wait to get pinned up tomorrow to get rid of the rest of it.

No comments: