Friday, September 19, 2008

Revenge of the Gallbladder

I think my not as "clean" eating from vacation and this last week might finally be catching up with me. We went to Water Street Cafe for dinner and got my favorite turkey avocado sandwich (on a pretzel bun, with bacon, what's not to love?), a glass of wine, and Aztec chocolate fondue. Yeah, that was a bit too much "bad" food for my gallbladder. While I didn't get awfully sick feeling, I definitely didn't feel right about forty-five minutes after I finished eating it all. I noticed it primarily in the discomfort I felt behind my right shoulder blade (gallbladder attack symptom), and some not so pleasant tastes in my mouth with a mild sensation of heartburn. The sensations have since subsided, but I'm not yet 100%.

Lesson learned tonight: wheat products plus meats (including bacon) plus wine plus chocolate don't not make for a happy gallbladder.

I think now would be a good time to review what it is I am supposed to be eating and what I am supposed to be avoiding. My information comes from the lovely lady from whom I get my GB supplements at www. gallbladderattack.com. Let's start with what I should be avoiding to prevent GB attacks:
  • Eggs, pork, onion, fowl, milk, coffee, oranges, grapefruit, corn, beans, nuts, in that order.
  • Trans fats
  • Hydrogenated, partially-hydrogenated oils
  • Margarine
  • Fried Foods
  • Saturated fats
  • Red meats
  • Dairy products
  • Eggs
  • Coffee, regular or decaf
  • Chocolate
  • Ice cream
  • Black tea
  • Alcohol, beer, wine, liqueur
  • Fruit juice
  • Carbonated water
  • Tap water
  • Radishes and turnips
  • Cabbage, cauliflower
  • Colas and all sodas
  • Oats (for some people)
  • Wheat
  • Barley
  • Rye
  • All legumes (beans)
  • Avoid all artificial sweeteners, sugar, preservatives, refined and bleached foods (like white flour)
And here is what she says I should be eating to help avoid attacks and (for some foods) help get rid of stones:
  • Beets
  • Cucumbers
  • Green beans
  • Okra
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Avocados
  • Vinegars all types
  • Shallots
  • Tomatoes - ripe
  • cold water fish
  • Lemons
  • Grapes and fresh organic grape juice
  • Omega 3 oils like flax or hemp
  • Vegetable juices - Beet and cucumber are especially helpful to gallbladder
  • other green vegetables like tender baby greens, Swiss chard, dandelion greens, beet greens, celery, carrots -- avoid the cabbage family
  • Avoid all fruit juices except organic grape juice and organic apple (self-juiced is best).
  • All the vegetables listed above for juicing are good
  • Fiber such as found in fruits and vegetables and guar gum
  • Drink lots of water - very important
  • Garlic and garlic oil
  • Artichokes
  • Ginger root
  • Coconuts
  • Apples, apricots, berries, casaba melons, currants, figs, guavas, lemons, pears, prunes
  • Turmeric (organic)
  • Cottage cheese - lowfat

It's not the most thrilling list of foods to eat in the world and I am slowly incorporating more of the "avoidance" foods back in as I feel better. However, after tonight, I think I might need to slow it back down and be conscious of how much I am eating of all of the "bad" foods. Fruits and vegetables must still be the staples.

Having a broken gallbladder is rough on you social life when it comes to eating out!

No comments: