Sunday, September 28, 2008

Another food sensitivity?

My esophagus hurts. It's been hurting since dinner, when I made this wonderful ginger-sesame stir fry recipe from one of my new favorite magazines, Clean Eating.

Thing is, I can't figure out why my esophagus is hurting, though it was definitely something I ate. Best guesses are either the jasmine brown rice or the massive amounts of sesame and sesame oil in the recipe. I know I've had similar sensations after eating brown rice before, but I can't even remember the last time that happened and I've had brown rice quite a few times the last few months with no issues I can remember. As far as the sesame goes, I've never once had a reaction to it that I'm aware of, so it's really only a guess. I will have to do some investigative work later to see which it was that caused the reaction. In the meantime, my friend Benedryl will be putting me to sleep tonight... better safe than sorry if it really is a mild food sensitivity causing the esophagus discomfort (and my tongue and roof of my mouth are starting to feel weird as time progresses).
Like I mentioned, the recipe from tonight's tasty, yet offending, dinner came from this wonderful magazine I found called Clean Eating. The mag is a health nuts' dream, and it is chock full of healthy eating recipes and information. This month's issue features a Clean Eating menu for thanksgiving. I will have to try some of the recipes, for sure. The neatest part is that there is an index of recipes in the beginning of the mag with a guide for which ones are gluten-free and vegetarian. The one shortcoming of the mag is that I wish it could go a step further and offer more nut-free or dairy-free recipes. Granted you can always leave those things out, but sometimes it ends up altering the whole dish and it doesn't turn out right or looses all it's flavor.

The other new magazine I found is pictured on the right, Natural Health. This magazine is also awesome for health nuts, but it comes at it from a slightly different angle than Clean Eating. While there is a focus on food choice, there is much more discussion of overall health and well-being with anything from yoga poses to organic clothing to mental health issues. I like both and will probably get subscriptions set up so I can stay focused and have lots of tools at my fingertips as I continue with my journey of attaining good health.

Speaking of eating, I not only made that wonderful dinner, but I made homemade Mushroom Soup for lunch. It was good, but both my husband and I agreed that next time I make it I shouldn't blend it all up, I should just leave it as a chunky vegetable soup. Either way, it was good and we will definitely make it another time. I can't wait for eating the leftovers for lunch this week. Should be tasty!


You can see it as a chunky soup while it was boiling, and as the final emulsified version below.

No comments: