Sunday, September 14, 2008

San Juan, PR vacation- Day 2

We did eat a whole lot of anything exciting on Day 2 of vacation. Breakfast was blueberry pancakes with a side of berries (very good). Lunch was the same chips and guac as the day before, but instead of the salad we had wrap made with chicken, sauteed spinach with garlic, avocado, and some mayo (which I didn't know they had on it, though I did tell them to take off the cheese). My husband and I agreed that the sandwich was good, but not spectacular.
For dinner we went to a restaurant the the concierge recommended, called Miro. What a disappointment. The menu looked good in theory, but the flavors just weren't there, and they weren't as acommodating to my dietary restrictions as the concierge said they would. For main courses they primarily served whole fish (gross!), so we opted for the tapas. I ordered a plate of roasted vegetables- peppers, eggplant, and onion- and what they brought out was a vinegary mess. I sent it back it was so gross. The peppers and eggplant tasted like they came straight out of a can. It was disgusting. We also ate mushrooms in a garlic wine sauce (good enough to eat, though not amazing), and some chorizo with peppers (not that there were many). The highlight of the meal was dessert, which was actually quite good. It was a red wine poached pear flavored with cinnamon and star anise. Really good. And yes, I avoided eating the ice cream that came with it... you can see what was left of it here.

Being that I hardly ate anything for dinner we went back to the hotel's poolside restaurant and I got the salad I ate for lunch the day before. We also ordered drinks, and I had the mojito. The put a lot of mint and lime in it, and it was good. And, suprisingly, the alcohol did not bother my gallbladder at all.

No comments: