Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"Old Biddy"

A couple of days ago, one of my coworkers accused me of being an "old biddy" because I can't go out and party and drink like a lot of other people my age. In a lot of respects I am a self-proclaimed "old lady," (note: lady not biddy, there is a difference) mostly because my health requires a lifestyle similar to that of a much older lady, but also partially because I am in to stuff that a lot of "kids" my age aren't in to: opera, wearing pearls with St John suits (if I had the money, I would), cooking and entertaining with super high-class food, and fulfilling my manifest destiny of becoming a fabulous rich old lady (I was destined to be one and you all know it).

Either way, I have to be an "old biddy" right now. My body has left me no option. Just take a look at all of the pills I am taking everyday, most of them three times per day, to fix my ailing body.

This is everything I take from the "gallbladder starter kit" that I got. I take one dose of each per meal. From left to right:
  • Super Phos: to help during a gallbladder attack, but also to help with the indigestion, pain, nausea, and vomiting that comes with having a bum gallbladder. It takes like stomach acid after vomiting. No joke.
  • Beet Supplements: not only does it make my poo purpley-red (which is fun), but it helps to thing and move my purpley-red bile, metabolize fats, and stop constipation. Oh, and I still have to eat beets as well as take this supplement.
  • Bile Salts: breaks down fats, stops constipation, and helps my body absorb nutrients I am sure it hasn't been absorbing for a while now since I can't digest without them- vitamins, A, D, E and K and essential fatty acids.
  • Mega Acid A: makes my tummy produce hydrochloric acid since it struggles to on its own, so that I can digest protein properly and it also helps my gallbladder to actually empty like it's supposed to.
  • Mullzyme: has enzymes in it that help to digest protein and helps my bowel to clean itself for better absorption of nutrients.

And if that weren't enough...




... I get to take even more supplements for digestion and to get rid of the gallstones! The first two my acupuncturist gave me to fix the candida (or yeast) overgrowth I have in my digestive tract, which I assume is in no small part due to my wonderful overly sugared American diet. I take one per meal:

  • Probiotics: to help support a healthy intestinal environment, free from bad bacteria
  • Enzyme Plus: to help me digest, because again, my body has ceased to be able to digest stuff on it's own.
  • Yeast Away (not pictured): this was a supplement I was supposed to take to kill of that bad yeast in my tummy, but unfortunately it had Aloe Vera in it and it made me sick, cuz, like the messed up person I am, I am allergic to Aloe Vera. Thought you would never hear of that huh? Yup, that's me. I'm going to try to start taking that one again in a month or so to see if it goes over any better.

Then there is the Chinese medicine gallstone dissolving stuff:

  • Gallbladder Nano-Detox: stimulates bile secretion and helps to dissolve stones. I drink some of this diluted in water once a day, sipping slowly.
  • Dissolve GS: it does what the name says, dissolve gallstones. I have to take 3 capsules 3-4 times daily.

And did I mention the monthly cost of all these supplements to fix me? Not cheap.

Believe me, there is nothing more in this world that I would like than to go out partying with my friends like we use to back in the old days-- which any of my undergrad friends will tell you, I was really good at. I mean, I'm talking total rockstar kind of night. But what would happen if I did? It wouldn't be just a massive hangover that I would suffer, it would be more than that. In one night I could potentially reverse all of the hard work I have done to detoxify my body, and have to start all over. And for what? So I can not feel as left out and prove that I am somehow cool? No way. Not worth sacrificing my health. And if that makes me an "old biddy," then I will gladly wear that badge with honor, because I am living my life smart. So don't make fun of me. It's not a bad thing, it's a really good thing. And when you are faced with a compromised health situation years from now, you will understand. There really is no other option than to be that "old biddy."

No comments: