Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Battle Wounds

I started going to the acupuncturist a few weeks ago after being up late one too many nights from one health issue after the other. Modern medicine wasn't working for me, and my unguided self-care was only barely managing the issues. Going for what I felt was the last resort, I ended up doing acupuncture.

Ok, touchy subject time... well, touchy subject at least for me. I had been suffering from severe anxiety for a few months, and that day had been a particularly bad day. To sum it up, I had gone to see my ob/gyn for my annual (as all of us girls must do, unfortunately) and I pretty much cried through the whole appointment. It was my first time seeing this particular doctor, so before we did the exam and stuff he wanted to sit down with me and do a little "get to know each other" session. Very cool. Well, I don't think this doctor knew what he had coming. There I was, sitting my brand new doctor's office telling him about all of my health issues, family issues, and all of that other stuff that revolved around and resulted in the severe anxiety I had been feeling for months. Thankfully, my doc took it like a pro and listened and asked lots of questions, so I believe he actually genuinely cared. Granted, this man is used to lots of pregnant hormonal women crying in his office all the time... so what's so different about little old, non-pregnant, me crying in his office, right? Right. Anyway, the crying didn't stop after my appointment. I literally could not stop crying the rest of the day.

That being said... I was friggin' sick of crying. That's no way to live! On top of that, over the course of the prior months I had tried two different modern medicine remedies (aka anti-depressants) for the anxiety, both of which made me so sick to my stomach that I couldn't function. One of them made me so sick that chunks of stuff were shooting up in to my throat from my stomach. Graphic, I know, but doesn't it seem odd that anyone would consider putting something in to their bodies that might even have a side effect like that? After those two horrible experiences, I resorted to homeopathic remedies, which actually helped out a lot. Only problem with the homeopathic remedy was that if I didn't take it consistently, I was right back where I started with in a matter of days. Which was how I got to where I was that day. I had stopped taking the homeopathic remedy consistently about two days prior, and I couldn't suck those things down fast enough to make up for the lost time.

Sometimes I wonder if there is a higher plan... that there is a path we take for a reason and that new pathways that we need to follow will continue to open up as we go. Across the hall from my new ob/gyn's office that day was a chiropractic/acupuncture place. That night I was up late, not able to sleep, with pain from my gallbladder (though not knowing that was what it was at the time) and continuing to have severe anxiety-attacks- as a result of the pain. Having seeing the acupuncture office earlier in the day, the idea struck me to look in to acupuncture to help the anxiety.

Doing what I always do when something with my health frustrates me, I started to Google the benefits of acupuncture for anxiety. I found a lot of great information that supported the benefits, and I even discovered that acupuncture can help digestive disorders! I e-mailed them that night (around 2am), and was able to get an appointment that next day. Yes, I cried through the whole appointment, just as I had the day before, but by the time I was done with my first "pinning," something had changed.

I stopped crying. I even felt like taking a walk with my husband after dinner. I had energy. The proof is in the pudding though folks-- a rash that I had been dealing with for two full days, that was itching so bad when I went in to the acupuncturist that it was bleeding, had completely cleared within two hours afterwards! Can you say excited?!?! I was!

I will talk more later about all of the awesome results I am seeing from the acupuncture, but in the meantime, I wanted to share this pic of a "battle wound" I received from Monday's pinning.



That bruise is on my stomach from one of the gallbladder points we hit to stimulate and improve it's functioning. Don't worry, it doesn't hurt. But, if this doesn't prove how serious I am about healing myself naturally, and the lengths I will go to do that, I don't know what will!

No comments: