Monday, July 28, 2008

I am no match for hormones

Well, it happened today. I broke down and ate some serious no-no food. There was no helping it, I had to do it. My will power is only so strong and can't combat the serious carb cravings that my hormones demanded. So I ate a bag of sour cream and onion potato chips and a Milky Way. And let me tell you, almost immediately I paid for it. My gallbladder started to ache and wouldn't stop aching for the better part of an hour and a half, despite taking my supplements to help out the cause. On top of that, as soon as I started eating both items it felt like my throat was mildly itchy and a lot of mucus started form. Gross. And double gross.
Let's think about this for a second though...
Why in God's name would anyone want to eat something that caused that much disgusted mucus to form in their mouth when eating it. It was so thick it felt like the kind of thick gooey snot you get when you have a serious sinus infection, like it should have been neon green in color. It was beyond nastified (yes, I made that word up). Thinking about how severe a reaction it caused to my system after not eating any of that stuff for only three to four weeks made me wonder why I ever ate it in the first place? Or why manufacturer's actually get away with selling that crap without having to put warning labels on them: WARNING! May cause severe mucousal thickening in your mouth and digestive tract upon eating. Do not consume if you value your health.
But I digress. This sugar stuff has a strong hold on me, and when my hormones hit (at that certain time of the month) I am no match for it yet. I do anticipate that next month will be easier to get through. Heck, if I can get through the rest of the week with no more strong undeniable cravings, I will be one happy camper!
In other news, today I decided to try some wheat and gluten free bread. I opted for the Millet bread because it was sweetened with fruit juice.



Sounded good, and it tasted good. Just not good as a sandwich bread. More than anything it tasted like cornbread and I could see myself eating it with some hot soup or something to soak it in. Not realizing this was how it tasted, I had made a cucumber sandwich for lunch to use up some cucumber that we got from the farm (yeah, for having access to a half acre garden at the in-laws farm... we spent an hour or so last night freezing corn).



The sandwich didn't taste bad, it just wasn't something I would make again. By the second half of the sandwich I was eating the bread and cucumbers separately. At least I know what the bread tastes like now though so I can plan accordingly in the future!
Two other things I have discovered in the last few days:
  1. Vitamin Water makes me feel really good. I guess despite all of the fruits and veggies I've been eating I still needed more vitamins. Of course, it could have something to do with the cane sugar they use in it too...
  2. Iron supplements also make me feel better. I need to make a more concerted effort to attempt to get more iron in to my new primarily vegetarian diet.
  3. Pants that are two sizes too big make you look awful. Dumpy, frumpy, and larger than you actually are. It might be time for a new wardrobe or some serious alterations....

No comments: