Sunday, July 20, 2008

Binging is way too easy to do...

Tonight I went to a cookout at my friends' house and discovered just how hard it really is to stay focused on my detox diet. The temptations were everywhere and I wanted to binge on some food hardcore. Being that it is Sunday and I do allow myself some small freedoms with my gallbladder/detox diet on Sundays I did eat some cheddar cheese rice cakes and some strawberry and jello salad dessert stuff. No complaints from my stomach so I think I chose wisely. I was also very prepared and brought my own food so as not to stray too far from my dietary restrictions by eating a brat or hamburger-- which at this point would be gallbladder suicide. This helped out the cause a lot, but those old habits of sitting in front of the food and binging were really hard to resist.

Another thing I noticed was that I got a little "rush" from eating the cheddar cheese rice cakes. I could feel the triggers in my brain firing and wanting me to keep eating them. While I did indulge the craving a little, I paced it out by eating a little at a time so as not to completely binge and eat the whole bag in one sitting. It was hard to do, but it seemed to work.

The larger issue is what this says about the overly processed, fake, refined, flavorings, and preservatives we use on our food. Even on a simple rice cake, the fake flavoring added to them triggered that "nic fit" feeling and gave me a sense of euphoria. Processed food has become a drug for me, and I suspect most of the rest of the country/world. After having desensitized myself from processed food for the better part of 2-3 weeks now, it can still cause a rush that messes with the receptors between my brain and stomach, making me want to eat long after I am satiated. The notion of this is mind-boggling, but sadly true. "Modernized" food (aka processed/refined/fake food) is a drug.

No comments: