Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Adventures in Healthy Food

I got a little creative and experimental with my food today. After yesterday's debacle with the millet bread not working out the way I thought it would, and just generally trying to add some more variety back in to my diet (I am starting to get really sick of rice, no joke), I tried a few different things and it all went well.
For breakfast I ate some awesome wheat and gluten free waffles with peaches and honey on top. I sauteed the peaches in some honey to soften them since they were a little under ripe and boy was it goooooood! I'm really surprised at how totally tasty the waffles are by themselves too. Health food really does taste better!


For lunch I ate a spinach salad with baby bella mushrooms, artichoke hearts, cucumber, and a simple flax seed oil and lemon vinaigrette. On the side I took a piece of the millet bread, toasted it, and then topped it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Best lunch ever! Most of all, I couldn't believe how good the millet bread was with the olive oil and seasoning on top. It was so good I went back for a second piece. Definitely a successful adventure on that on. Sorry, no picture though.


For dinner I decided to try quinoa for the first time ever. Not surprisingly, it was quite tasty. When I was toasting it at the begin it smelled kind of like a cookie (ideas are already spinning in my head for super healthy Christmas cookies, sad but true), and then once it began to simmer with all of the seasonings-- tomato and basil-- it smelled like a great homemade barley soup. It made an excellent side dish for the fish and green beans. The picture doesn't do it justice because of the horrible lighting in my apartment, but you get the idea. Tasty... and just talking about it again makes me hungry.




The more healthy food options I try the more I am loving the whole food diet thing. Tomorrow is going to be somewhat challenging since I have to figure out what to bring to eat on the road to and from Chicago. And I spend the day in the car, leaving before 6am, so I'm gonna need some snack food too! Thankfully, Whole Foods can help out while I'm up there!

No comments: