Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Healthy= Expensive

Today I came to a very sad and painful realization. Eating healthy is really friggin' expensive! On my shopping trip to stock up for the week I spent just over $100 on nothing but fruits, vegetables, and a few other random items, most of which were organic/natural.

I guess it seems counter intuitive to me that eating healthy should be so expensive. I heard from a friend the other day that congress is considering passing a "junk" food tax to make unhealthy food more expensive. Here is the funny thing, the source who told me about this potential tax also told me that Pringles somehow got out of having the tax applied because they aren't actually potato chips. Crazy. But how American, sadly. Anyway, the point is that it still costs a ridiculous amount of money to eat healthy, and even a "fat" tax on junk food isn't going to change that dynamic at all.

Unfortunately, I need to find a way to eat organic and healthy and still have some semblance of a budget for the next three months. On the bright side, my in-laws have a farm with a half acre garden so I am sending my husband to stock up this weekend. Heck, if I can get even a few cucumbers free that will save me about $5!! Oh, and my Debbie Meyer green bags, so long as my husband stops throwing them out after one use!

No comments: