Friday, July 11, 2008

Beeturia is a funny thing

Today I discovered something funny. I have "beeturia." Beets are very important to the gallbladder diet, so I have been making sure to eat at least a serving of beets everyday. Having never really eaten but the occassional beet before this adventure, I was unaware the beeturia even existed. Apparently, in certain individuals, the lovely purple color of the beet can show up in the urine and stool. Fabulous! Apparently, I am among the 10-14% of the population that has this lovely side effect of eating beets. At least the good news is that it's harmless. Funny. But harmless.

Anyway, after yesterday's not so good experience with the juicer, I decided to try a different recipe for breakfast this morning. This one is called "Cucumber Fuzz," and it was actually really tasty. Not to mention super pretty before I mixed it all up.





This recipe called for peaches (the fuzz), cucumber, and celery. Very refreshing.

Look at how pretty it looked before I mixed it up! (Ignore the crappy lighting in my kitchen and the crappy quality of photos that my camera takes)

My tummy loved that breakfast. Too bad I was starving about 2 hours later, though! Thankfully, I had packed rice crackers again, so I munched on those to tide me over. The rest of the day went well eating wise again- probably because I ate the some stuff as the day before! But there is nothing wrong with that, and no nausea to report either as a result!

It's amazing to me how quickly I am seeing and feeling a change in my overall health just by changing my diet to help out my gallbladder. The nausea is going away, I have more energy, my stomach is starting to function normally again, I'm sleeping MUCH better (no more waking in the middle of the night with gallbladder attack pain or nausea... or even peeing for that matter), and my awful sugar cravings are all but gone. One week is all it took. Wow!

As my acupuncturist said, we are "going to detox the hell out of [me]." I like to think we are making some good progress...

No comments: