Monday, August 11, 2008

Why are we so uneducated about this stuff?

Sometimes I can't figure out why people are so flat out rude and unsupportive. I guess it's just not in my nature to be that way, but then again it's also not in my nature to close minded about things and the possibility of alternative ways of doing things. Especially when it comes to my health. Obviously, I'm not one to just medicate the hell out of myself or have unnecessary surgeries when there is the possibility I can treat it with alternative, natural means.

Yet again, I had someone close to me discount what I was trying to do and tell me, verbatim, "you know you're going to have to get your gallbladder removed anyway, right?" Very rude and snippy and completely disregarding all of the progress I have started to make with the diet and supplements. This persons response was that of course I feel better because I changed my diet, and the supplements aren't going to do anything to fix it. Excuse me? And then they went on to say that there was no studies or documentation to back up what I'm doing. I explained to this person that they were looking in the wrong area of medicine (traditional) and that they need to do some research in to natural, homeopathic, and Chinese medicine. The funny thing is that this person is in medicine and didn't even know the actual function of the gallbladder versus the liver. Not sure why that was, but I corrected them and assured them I would prove them wrong and save my gallbladder naturally without resorting to surgery.

I just don't understand why some people feel the need to be so blatantly mean and rude. Especially to someone close to them? I grew up in an environment like this, though it was a bit more underhanded, and it is the worst feeling in the world not having support from your loved ones on something that is so important to you. No understanding, no compassion, just ice cold reactions. In a world where people have compassion, reactions would be more supportive, along the lines of "good luck with that stuff your trying, even if you do end up having to get your gallbladder taken out in the end." Why is that people I am close to can't speak in human terms like that? It's always just commanding me that I'm stupid and ugly or fat or whatever they feel like putting me down on that day.

But I'm just venting. Part of this detox thing I'm doing has a lot of mental components to it as well. Negativity and stress are so hard on the body, especially the digestive system. My body has been in a "fight or flight" mode for several years, particularly during the last two years, and this can cause a large number of the digestive problems I have had, as well as the weight gain (yikes). So, to keep things happy and stress-free, to save my health, I am going to have to surround myself with only people who are supportive and positive in my cause. Are you one of them?

No comments: