Friday, August 1, 2008

Relearning what a portion is

The lesson for today is that I am slowly learning what a portion size is for real. We have a serious epidemic of portion distortion in the US and I, for one, am also a victim of this issue.

After all of the sickness and lack of sleep the last few days I am focusing intently on figuring out what a true serving size for a meal looks like. During the past few weeks I have gone from one extreme to another and now am working on finding that middle ground between starving and sick. For me, finding that perfect portion size is super important to how I feel all day since my digestive system is still compromised. If I don't eat enough (or even enough of the right things) I end up starving and dizzy within an hour or two afterwards, and if I eat too much I end up nauseous and with heartburn of varying degrees wanting to hang my head over toilet-- for which no amount of digestive supplements will help.

Breakfast was too large of a serving today and I guess it would be as I was pouring out my single servings of cereal, rice milk, and fruit. Just adding the calories in my head was making some bells go off in my brain saying that it was going to be too much, and it was even though I didn't finish it all. So I spent part of the morning with some mild nausea. Lunch was the perfect portion size, with a small bowl of soup, a small spinach and cucumber salad with lemon and flax seed dressing. I also had a small side of bread, which I think was a bit more than I needed, but all in all the digestion went alright. Dinner was not quite enough, apparently. I had rice with sauteed vegetables and some grapes neither of which were very large in size. About two hours later I was craving sushi and feeling mildly hungry, so I got a little bit of sushi and miso soup and now feel just fine. But, I think I'm starting to figure it out. I think.

This is probably going to be the biggest hurdle for me to overcome during this process. Changing the foods I eat is easy. Making sure I have the exact right amount of them is absolutely mind boggling.

No comments: