Thursday, August 7, 2008

Salmon no more

Well, that salmon dinner last night was really not a good choice. When I laid down to go to bed my old friend GERD came back to visit me. It was not pleasant at all. The sensation is something like having the feeling that vomit (or undigested food) is slowly creeping up your esophagus towards your throat. Mind you, there is no vomiting involved, but just the rather unpleasant sensation that makes you wish you did vomit to make it stop.

Since I have sworn off any acid reducing medicines-- I believe they contributed to my gallbladder problems directly by shutting off the acid in my stomach and thus causing the back up of undigested stuff that caused the stones and other digestive problems-- I resorted to sitting up on the couch, drinking water, and reading a book for a while. The sensation of indigestion seemed to go away after an hour or so and I went back to bed.

Things were fine until about 6AM.

Just as my husband was leaving for work I woke up feeling horribly nauseous from the GERD, that apparently had NOT resolved it self completely the night before. I drank some water and propped up a ton of pillows so I could sleep for another hour, and that seemed to do the trick. Unfortunately, it only temporarily relieved things as I spent most of the day feeling intermittently nauseous and fine.

I give up sometimes.

Anyway, I did have some very mild bouts of heartburn today accompanied by some mild nausea, but it was nothing compared to what I used to get. What I find interesting is that I think the problems were directly related to being dehydrated. Once I got enough water in me, both last night and today, the indigestion symptoms seemed to go away. I know I didn't drink enough water yesterday so in a way it makes sense. The body really can't function at it's best with out some lubrication, ya know? It's like putting powdered detergent in a washing machine and only putting a drop of water on the clothes. The clothes aren't gonna get clean because there isn't enough water to dissolve and activate the detergent.

Ok, with that analogy, I think it's official that I've been selling appliances for too long!

No comments: