Monday, August 25, 2008

Maybe I'm not as bad as I thought I was

Yesterday I blogged about some events that happened at work and how they effected me greatly and how hard it was to let go of things sometimes. While this still holds true for me, my gut proved itself right today. The intense feelings of unease I was having were justified and my primal instinct was correct. After a series of events that unfolded today- starting with finding out what had really happened after piecing the puzzle together- I ended up taking action and saying something like I had wanted to from the beginning. In some ways, I wish I hadn't waited until the end of the day today, but then again, if I hadn't my story might not have been as strong a case to rectify the situation. Still not 100% sure everything has been resolved, but I did my part and can really move on now.

This brings up another interesting issue that I have been investigating in regards to mental health. We have trained ourselves to ignore our primal instincts- telling ourselves that we are just imagining things. You hear stories all of the time about how people sense something bad is going to happen right before it does, and when they react on that primal instinct the end up saving their lives or preventing that bad thing from happening. Now, this situation was clearly not life or death, but had I believed my gut reaction that something wasn't right it could have prevented the whole series of events from actually happening. I personally have had other times in my life that I convinced myself that I was imagining things or I was the crazy one and that there was nothing wrong. In some cases this turned out to be quite traumatic for me and I am still suffering the consequences it has had on me since. From my own story and the stories I have heard from others I wonder why we don't spend more time getting in tune with our body's natural primal signals. Not so long ago, I am certain I saw Oprah do an episode on just that subject. It's great what she has done to cause more awareness of this subject, but I wish there was more. We need to learn to pay attention to the hair raising on the back of our necks, our heartbeat quickening, our eyesight becoming extremely focused, and that general sense of unease. Our bodies are speaking and too many of us don't listen or react.

In other news, my acupuncturist told me today that I am a "rockstar" since I am doing so well. He said I only have a slight fold in the left side of my tongue and everything else has cleared up. How exciting is that?!?! And it seriously only took just under three months to clear up years of problems. Natural medicine stimulating the body's ability to heal itself is amazing to me and I wish it were more mainstream in American culture. The results cannot be ignored from where I am sitting.

No comments: