Tuesday, June 16, 2009

We can't all be perfect all the time...


This weekend I went a bit overboard. Clearly I am not doing "perfect" on this round of detox. Oh well. I'm trying and staying focused as much as I can. I've already started to notice the sugar cravings going down, so I think I'm making progress, nonetheless.

Back to this weekend. I went to my favorite restaurant, June, again with a good friend from work and her husband. We did a double date. I had gotten her a gift certificate for their wedding a few months back and promised to go with when they used it. Well, this weekend was it. Granted, it was a last minute decision but I couldn't say no when they didn't have any of their kids for the weekend, which only happens about once a month. So, off we went for a lovely dinner. And four bottles of wine later...

Oh boy. Here is the good news though. No headache, no gallbladder/liver problems, only a slight headache the next day (which is to be expected after drinking four bottles of wine with friends). The last few times I drank I didn't fair quite as well. The last time I did this well was back when I was doing really well health wise in the wintertime and had gotten down to taking only a few supplements for my gallbladder. To me, despite breaking my detox diet to have the wine (I did good otherwise, though!), this is a good sign that I am heading in the right direction. Now, I won't be drinking anymore wine for a good while and I plan on staying focused on the healthy, clean eating, but at least I had a good sign that I was heading in the right direction.

What was the wine I was drinking? Elena Walch Merlot 2006, Kastelaz, Italy. As we described it during the night: dangerous. It was quite possibly the smoothest Merlot I have ever drank, with a great dark berry (a hint of cherry even) aroma at the beginning and finishing with a smooth blueberry and blackberry taste. At least that was how it tasted to my pallet. Highly recommend it.

No comments: