Thursday, June 4, 2009

Detox Diet Day 4

Sugar cravings were rampant today. I did however discover that in a pinch some organic raisins do the trick quite nicely to get rid of the cravings. Hit the spot. I think I will be carrying them around with me all day long just in case. I have issues with sugar... bad. Hence the need for detox right?

Because I am avoiding processed sugars I decided to try something different today. I bought organic pure cane sugar to use in my gluten-free lemon poppyseed bread. Yes, yes, it's cheating a bit on the diet, but I thought I would try it.


Unfortunately, since I also decided to use grapeseed oil in the recipe I can't tell if the flavor of the bread was changed by the oil or the sugar. I think it was a combo of the two. The bread wasn't as sweet as with the processed white sugar, and there was definitely a different taste from the grapeseed. Did not, however, keep the hubby from eating almost the entire loaf in one sitting though. At least he thinks it's still just as fabulous.
I did however have some cooking victories today. Dinner was sinfully delicious but so healthy. Grilled broccoli, red peppers and shrimp with EVOO, garlic, and seasoning served over wild rice. My husband gave it an A+, and I think I would second that vote. It was so good.


As you can see the sun was setting on my food, but I kind of like the artistic touch it gave to the picture. Anyway, we will definitely be having this dish again in the next week. You don't get much healthier than this!

I was super excited to find the wild rice mix though because most of the wild rice mixes in the store have flavoring added to them, which inevitably have carrots or some other allergen in them. I was so excited to find this mix and even more excited to be able to eat whole grain wild rice without allergic reactions!

No comments: