Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Detox Diet- Day1

Yesterday was NOT a good day. I did great on eating healthy, but my body wanted nothing to do with it as it was too focused on making me feel miserable. For the past two weeks I have been getting excruciating headaches, doubled with a sinus headache from allergies (usually), and bloating. I tried everything to make that headache go away yesterday to no avail. First I tried a chiropractic adjustment... the headache subsided and lessened for about 30 minutes. Then I tried a massage during my lunch break... the headache went away with the exception of some sinus pain above my left eye for about an hour and a half. And when it came back, it came back hard. I couldn't hear right, I couldn't see straight, I felt confused, and started to even feel a bit nauseous from it. I had the hubs drop off some Sudafed after taking some Aleve hadn't helped at all. The Sudafed got things down to a more bearable level and that helped me to feel safe enough to drive home.

Went to bed by 9:30 and woke up throughout the night with the headache still mildly bothering me. Around 5:00 am I woke up and it was finally gone. Thank goodness for small miracles! After eating a snack and drinking some water (I was hungry from not eating much for dinner), I went back to bed until about 8am. Still headache free, but I can tell by the pinching nerve in my back that it's threatening to flair up again.

Based on how the headache withstood any medication I could take and looking back at the last two weeks of headaches and bloating, I believe I have determined this to all be related to PMS. TMI, I know, but we are chronically my health struggles so we have to document this stuff, people! I have not had PMS this bad since I can remember... maybe a year or two. But what got me thinking was all of the bad food I ate in May. I ate a lot of overly processed cupcakes, so much so that the food coloring from the frosting was altering the color of both my husband and my bowel movement (we compared notes because we both thought it was funny). Though I tell you what, nothing says "you shouldn't eat this" than food coloring dyed poo. :)

So, this detox diet is definitely due. With the exception of the three pieces of chocolate I ate last night to see if a smidgen of caffeine would help the headache (it did, believe it or not) I ate very healthy. Not sure I got quite enough calories in, so I am reevaluating a few things to ensure that doesn't happen again, but otherwise the eating part of day 1 went very well.

Day2 is starting out much better. Fingers crossed it remains headache free. Time to go ice my neck to help out with the cause...

No comments: