Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Detox Diet- Day 2 and 3


I came to a realization yesterday. This detox diet will not go like the last one. When I started my detox diet last year I was starting at a very sickly place. I wasn't digesting, I had serious gastrointestinal issues that needed addressing, and my body was in a complete and total state of toxicity. Well, my body has come a long way and I don't need that level of cleansing anymore. Don't get me wrong, I need some cleansing and a good dose of refocusing (ie stop eating those darned cupcakes from Kroger), but I can't do it the way I did last time.

That being said I decided that this go round I need to include much more protein than I did last time. Last time I was borderline vegan for three full months before I started eating meat consistently again. And most of my protein came from fish once or twice a week, tofu in my miso soup, or the occassional lamb stuffed veggies that I would make. The rest of the diet was vegan. And at that time my body needed to cleanse at that level, but now, I need the protein to keep me going. So I hit the grocery store yesterday and bought some organic, all natural, turkey breakfast sausages (yummy!), my favorite chicken and fennel dinner sausages, and a new high protein breakfast option: puffed millet cereal and hempmilk. The millet cereal with hempmilk and strawberries is officially my new favorite food. I was really surprised by how creamy the hempmilk is, I am so glad my vegan girlfriend recommended it!
I might not keep up the high protein thing, but at least for this week I need it. I'm still detoxing by cutting out processed sugars, gluten (though I did eat some whole wheat bread yesterday in desperation), and eating whole foods again. And even though I've had to derail slightly a few times already- the chocolate on Monday (and again today... but I limited myself to the portion size on the box of three pieces) and meatballs with bbq sauce at last night's work event (the only healthy food available at the event had things I was allergic to so I didn't have much option in the matter), and the bread with peanut butter last night- I am lightyears better than I was last week. And I think we are moving in the right direction again.

No comments: