Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Slacking on Posting, but Serious on Cooking

I haven't been quite as good at posting the last few weeks, as my time has been eaten up by house shopping and all the chaos that comes with being a "potential" first time home buyer. It's exhausting and stressful!

Anyway, in managing my hectic schedule I have still managed to get some good cooking in, mostly out of necessity for needing to have healthy food to eat for my gallbladder (*sigh* I miss the days of eating overly processed nutritionless food). This week's featured meals are my homemade vegetable noodle soup, a recipe I made up myself in a quest to have allergy free- note: carrot free- chicken noodle soup, and the other recipe is one I got out of the fall issue of Natural Health magazine for Butternut Squash, Chili, and Cranberry Risotto. The vegetable noodle soup turned out wonderfully, as usual, though I do kind of miss the chicken in it. For some reason the chicken adds an extra level of flavor, and probably fat content, to the soup that rounds it out nicely. Granted my soup still has it's usual lovely aroma, just minus an element. If you want to try my homemade chicken noodle soup, the recipe is on my facebook page (for my facebook friends). Someday I will post it on here, I'm just not posting recipes yet.

Yesterday morning I slaved over the Butternut Squash Risotto recipe from Natural Health mag. It was quite good, and even better, dairy free! Since dairy and I don't quite get along yet (soon though I hope), this was a nice way for me to have one of my absolute fall favorites, butternut squash risotto. The recipe I usually make is from a book I got from Crate and Barrel, it has dried hot chilis and sage in it. To die for savory and sweet combo. And it's so creamy, which probably has something to do with the massive amounts of butter and cheese in it. However, in like of not being able to enjoy massive amounts of cheese, this butternut, chili, and cranberry risotto recipe definitely worked well and is made creamy by coconut milk, which was quite nice. Didn't miss the dairy at all. Plus there are all sorts of good spices and flavors in there, including: ginger, garlic, nutmeg, cinnamon, and lime. Here is a pic for your drooling pleasure.





Friday night I also experimented with a new Vietnamese recipe from my favorite Vietnamese cookbook. The recipe was for Cha Ca Fish, which is marinated in ginger and turmeric (GB friendly!), and then cooked with dill and green onions. While mine didn't look near as pretty as the one in the book, I made a valiant effort and the taste came out quite nice. We all especially liked the flavor of the "everyday dipping sauce" that was poured over it. The sauce was made with limes, garlic, garlic chili sauce, sugar, and water. I still have some left and need to find a use for it! Again, for your drooling pleasure, the Cha Ca Fish picture.


Sorry about the awful lighting. Can't wait until I get a house with lots of windows and natural light! But we will see what happens there...

And just to wrap up, I am officially still shrinking. Down another five pounds and counting. I hope the weight stabablizes soon though because I am going to need to buy another new wardrobe soon and I can't afford it!

No comments: