Thursday, October 2, 2008

Acupuncture as an alternative to drugs

A really really cool thing happened today. I learned that acupuncture can actually induce labor. A patient who is slightly overdue called up today in tears because she had not gone in to labor yet and her ob-gyn wanted to chemically induce her. She was already scheduled for an acupuncture appointment for Friday in the case that she had not gone in to labor yet, but due to the pressuring for chemical induction from her ob-gyn she had to move the appointment up a day.

Although she did not go in to labor immediately after the acupuncture session, she told me that she could feel a change happening in her body and that things felt like they were starting to move a bit. I am hoping that the session was effective and that we will hear news that the baby was born today as a result of the acupuncture inducing labor. I would hate to see her doctor make her resort to chemicals.

Curious about the effectiveness of acupuncture inducing labor, I started to do some googling and found many articles discussing it. This one in particular I found very informative and interesting. How I was unaware of this use for acupuncture until today, I don't know, but I am so excited to have learned about it.

Acupuncture's benefit seems to be getting a lot of press lately. Just last week the Today Show did a segment on acupuncture helping with infertility, and during the Olympics there was a segment on the athletes using acupuncture to recover from playing their sports quicker and more effectively. It is thrilling to see this natural treatment used in Asia for centuries finally getting some serious recognition for it's effectiveness here in the States.

No comments: