Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The consequence of bad behavior

Clearly, I am not ready for some foods yet. That cheese I had Sunday in the risotto? I could tell it was still effecting my digestion, because my lunch of avocado with EVOO and lime and some millet bread was sluggish in it's digestion and made me nauseous enough to take some acid drops. That meal usually goes over much better than that. Then, being the glutton for punishment that I am, I ate some Dove chocolates pieces before dinner last night which resulted in some nausea, indigestion once I did eat dinner, and some mild allergic reactions (they are serious when they say it may contain trace amounts of tree nuts). Ugh! Darn gallbladder!

That being said though, the question that keeps coming to mind is why it is virtually impossible to find a chocolate that is completely free of traces of nuts? How do us allergic people enjoy the wonderful taste of chocolate without fearing reaction? I, for one, happen to me really addicted to chocolate (to the point where it gives me a feeling of a high when I eat it, bad, I know), but it's hard to find chocolates that are safe to eat. My brother and one of my friends are severely allergic to peanuts (for me, it's just the tree nuts) and it's hard to even find chocolate chips for homemade cookies that don't have trace amounts in them. For a while I used Ghiradelli chocolate chips for my friend when I made things with chocolate, but I believe they even now have the warning label on them. At some point I should just start making it home made! Which is completely ridiculous, but in this cross contamination filled manufacturing society we have it's probably the best solution for allergic people!

No comments: