Sunday, October 12, 2008

Random Allergic Reactions... Again

Friday was a weird day. About an hour or so after lunch I had developed a rather swollen lip for no apparent reason. What felt like a few large hives formed on the the lower right side of my lip and my throat on the right side also felt kind of swollen and tingly. I resisted the urge to take Benedryl because I was at work and didn't want to get too drowsy. Luckily, the hive started to go away after about an hour, however, I then developed a rather severe headache and felt slightly off the rest of the day.

Here is the worst part- I can't figure out what the heck caused the allergic reaction! Everything I ate that day were things that I had eaten all week with no problems (including chocolate). My body certainly operates in mysterious ways and I'm not quite sure what to make of this occurrence. Perhaps I need to do a serious detox again and lay off the chocolate... which, as we've discussed this week is hard for me to do with constant temptation. Or maybe there is something else going on, or I really did eat something I was allergic to and didn't know it. Long story short, I don't know, but I am grateful that the reaction cleared on it's own and I was able to avoid the Benedryl this time.

On a positive note, my husband and I travelled to Chicago yesterday to see the Lyric Opera perform Manon, which was awesome- Dessay and Kaufman were absolutely brilliant- and we stayed overnight at the new Aloft hotel by O'Hare. While it would seem the positive was that we went to the opera, the biggest positive for me was that even though I forgot to pack my non-allergic shampoo and conditioner I successfully used the hotel's highly fragranced shampoo and conditioner without getting a crazy, itchy, burny scalp!!!! Such is the life of an allergic person. :) We take pleasure in the silliest victories.

No comments: