Monday, October 20, 2008

Gallbladder Attack Resurfaces It's Ugly Head

Ugh. Last night was rough. I had my first full-fledged gallbladder attack in months. Probably since I went on all of the supplements. The offending foods? Raw shallots and tortilla chips, and a little overeating to boot. I was miserable last night. Thankfully my Phos drops helped to make the pain subside within an hour or so, but the nausea and generally feeling of unease and distress in my body took quite a bit longer to go away. Gallbladder attacks are quite possibly the most uncomfortable thing in the world, and it's no wonder so many people opt to have theirs removed after a single attack. Goodness knows that last night I was considering it. Alas, I hunker on, but definitely avoiding raw shallots/onions and corn products. I should probably watch the overeating too, I've let myself slip this last week.

I've actually been having gallbladder flair-ups since Thursday, for various things. Thursday was from eating a McDonald's hash brown (did that one to myself, I was traveling and hungry, should have known better), Friday was from eating too many Dove chocolates before lunch (again, did that to myself), and Saturday was from eating a sweet potato, which is actually on the list of approved foods for gallbladder but nonetheless bothers me. I believe a lot of the sensitivity this weekend has to do with the time of the month. There is a definite pattern of gallbladder flair-ups right before my period. (Yes, TMI for those of you who can't handle such discussion, but again, I am dedicated to be totally open and honest on this blog, so deal). As a result, I am going to be ridiculously overly-conscious of what I eat this week so as to avoid any further gallbladder attacks or flair-ups.


The interesting thing about last night's gallbladder attack is that I was able to make the resulting headache and body discomfort/nausea go away for a short time by simply taking a shower. Somehow the hot water running down my head calmed my body down and I felt normal again. Of course, the second I was out of the shower I felt awful again, but at least for that brief time I was able to feel good again. Still ended up sleeping sitting up on the couch for three hours, but felt relief for fifteen minutes prior.


I leave you with a picture of the offending meal, which I actually took because I thought it was such a healthy meal. Not so much for me! Homemade turkey burgers on roasted garlic loaf bread, with homemade guacamole and baked tostitos. A lot less shallot and only half the turkey burger next time, I guess.



No comments: