Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Listen and Respond


For the first time in a while, I am listening to my body. I mean really listening. Not psycho-analyzing, not obsessing, not making assumptions, but really listening to what is happening with it. And I made a revelation.


Doc had it figured out before I did. My stomach was not happy with me.


No joke, when I was having a really rough time two weeks ago (ready my earlier posts if you want to follow the drama of my emotional detox with my liver) Doc mentioned to me that we might want to investigate some issues with my stomach. I told myself at the time that it wasn't my stomach it was plain and simple just my liver and gallbladder causing all the trouble.


I could not have been more wrong!
The gallbladder lady suggested it was my thyroid, and while I still believe that might be playing in to things, I decided I would pay attention to my body this last week and see what I noticed. Sure, there were signs of thyroid problems (PS should have the test results back next week!), but what I noticed more than anything was the difficult time I was having with my stomach. Pain, nausea, waking up or staying up until the hour of the night the stomach is most active (3am, in case you were wondering), gnawing feelings, etc, etc. These things happened most frequently after I took my Phos drops (for GB pain, which I kept thinking I was having- now I'm not sure if that's what it really was), and always right after finishing a meal and taking supplements.
I took action.
First, I added in a digestive enzyme supplement. This was important to help break down the food. Then I decided I needed to add in something to heal the stomach and reduce the inflammation- in comes aloe vera. Those seemed to cut the symptoms down to a dull roar, but still I felt nauseous and sick after eating.
A light bulb went on in my head Saturday morning.
I remembered when I had ulcer-like symptoms in the past I had successful helped those issues by taking a Glutamine supplement. This supplement helps to heal the lining of the stomach and strengthen it. Based on my symptoms, there was clearly some strengthening needed! Go figure, the first meal I took it with was the first meal in weeks that I didn't have pain or nausea. Thank goodness, because I had a girls weekend planned and wanted to be fully functional so I could have a good time! It worked!
So, while waiting for my test results to come back I'm still listening. My body is constantly telling me things in small subtle ways. I'm listening. What I heard today- my body is not a fan of prescription allergy medicine. Looks like we need to chat with my allergist to see if I can skip taking meds before my allergy shots. If not, I think the allergy shots are going to have to be suspended for a while. Right now, feeling functional is the most important thing of all! I have homeopathic remedies that keep the allergies enough under control for now!


1 comment:

University of Iowa Meg said...

Ooooh good info!!! My stomach HATES me!! Anything to calm it at this point...