Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Thyroid Connection?

When I'm not feeling 100% I tend to have a million thoughts running through my head at all times psychoanalyzing every minute symptom. Not feeling well for the majority of last week and now being on the recovery, I am obsessing (to put it lightly) about the possibility that my gallbladder problems might be related to an undiagnosed thyroid condition.

But, I don't know.

It seems so plausible, it seems so within reason that there would be a connection. But when I am still having discomfort it's hard to think about it from a rational point of view. Take for example today, I ate a healthy lunch if nourishing foods and felt pain in my liver and gallbladder for HOURS afterwards. It's finally started to subside thanks to some apricots and some GB stone dissolving supplements, but it still aches a bit and it's really pissing me off.

Then I psychoanalyze every morsel I put in my mouth today. Admittedly, I overate at lunch. Yup, even though it was healthy food, I know I overate. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. My lunch was lovely and tasty, but it was probably the equivalent of a meal and a half- roasted chicken breast, rice with homemade curried sweet potatoes with ginger and lemon (these taste amazing!), and small salad of mixed greens and little bit of guacamole. And before I ate that I was snacking on chips and guacamole and ate an apple.

Ummmm, thyroid condition or not- let's have a reality check on how much food I consumed! Way too much!

Now, most people can eat this much food in one sitting and not feel ill afterwards (though, honestly, they shouldn't eat that much in one sitting... ever). But for me, my body just can't break it down. Perhaps that ties back to the thyroid issue. I'm overburdening my body by asking it to process so much food- no matter how healthy- at one time.

My coworker suggested that the pain was caused by eating the curried sweet potatoes, but my instincts tell me otherwise. I think had I left the chicken out of the meal altogether (like the little voice in my head quietly tried to tell me to do when I put the plate together) I would have been much better off. This was evidenced by having eaten the rice and curried sweet potatoes again for dinner and not having any pain. Mild bloating, yes, but no pain.

Weird story is, the apricots I snacked on that got the pain to start subsiding caused me to feel like I needed to take a nap. Not just, "I feel kind of sleepy," but more like "if I don't lay down right now, I might pass out, and there will most definitely be drool involved." Yup- tired. But, after I ate the sweet potatoes that feeling went away.

Talk about a roller coaster right?

And that again, might point to an issue with my thyroid. Ugh. I don't know. Tomorrow I get to chat with Doc and ask him his opinion on the ordeal. Hopefully he can shed some light on what he thinks might be going on.

All I know is, I want to be fixed. I'm sick of being sick. Right now, I would rather have a sinus headache than this BS of constant pain. Call my whiny, call me needy, but until you have dealt with chronic pain or your body fighting against your will to live it's hard to understand how frustrating the process is.

1 comment:

RC said...

I know exactly how you feel about fighting constant chronic pain and being sick of it. And of constantly fighting to get through the day. That's how I spent the majority of the last 4 years, due to the chronic Lyme Disease. Also. because of the strain of the chronic Lyme proir to my diagnosis, my adrenals tried to go claws up, taking most of the endocrine system with it. Now after 4 years of treatment, my adrenals are back on line, but I will probably have to supplement my thyroid and vitamin D for the rest of my life. It really sucks. I've been contemplating going to a new doctor, now that I've been released from the Lyme treatment for almost a year and a half...major reason being that we moved 50 miles away, and I want a doctor close to home. I may even visit an endocrinologist....still mulling that one over.
On a happy note...race walked my first 1/2 marathon in 4 years...took 3hrs 15 minutes, but I did it. My recovery goal was "to do 1 more marathon"...don't know about the marathon, at least for a while, but I did make it through the half....I started, I finished, I was not last, and I did not require medical intervention (this one was close, due to high airborne allergens, but didn't have to happen...it's all good!)