Sunday, April 26, 2009

A little bit of stagnation again?

I tell you what, it's been a rough couple of weeks on my digestive system. Last Thursday during my bi-weekly massage my therapist discovered some serious swelling in my liver/gallbladder area. The area was so tender that just him laying his hand on the area made it difficult for me to breathe. Not good. By the time the massage was over (and thankfully my therapist decided to let me breathe and stopped working on the muscle knots in that area, which there were quite a few) everything was completely swollen and ridiculously tender to the touch. One of the doctor's did an exam on me to make sure it wasn't my appendix and thankfully, we ruled that out, not so thankfully we determined that yes, in fact, my liver/gallbladder were very swollen. We did some treatment to get the muscles in the area to relax the next few days and I iced it whenever possible. Knowing that a GB attack was coming I sped things along by eating some fried food (yummy Crab Rangoon). As expected I started to have a bit of an attack and began taking my supplements. What surprised me was that I never went into a full-blown all night attack, and things quietted down rather quickly with the supplements. Part of me wonders if there was just a stone blocking the duct and that what was causing all the swelling and that the mild attack I had was able to unblock it. By the next morning my liver/GB area was significantly less tender and swollen and by the following day was back to it's usual state.

Nonetheless, I am definitely experiencing stagnation this last week. Food feels like it's not digesting again, and I'm not doing my best to help it along all the time either. My sugar and carb cravings have been causing me to eat some not so good for me stuff: chocolate (full-fat dairy kind), bread with cheese in it (it was sooooo tasty though- and free from a friend- swiss and dill bread), and lots of sugary stuff. Need to refocus and keep eating beets and cucumbers and minimize the carbs.

Gameplan for the week: eat lots of salads, minimize carbs, make spinach soup for lunches and cut back on meat-based proteins. I also need to find time to eat fish this week, I haven't had fish in a good two weeks, which is weird for me!

No comments: