Thursday, April 16, 2009

Asparagus Season

Spring is the best time of year for asparagus... it's in season and it's cheap to buy as a result. During the spring I feel like I could asparagus everyday and not get sick of it. My in-laws just planted some at their farm for the family this past weekend, so I am hoping to have a bunch of fresh, locally grown asparagus at my disposal soon. Until then, I have been buying the regular stuff from California at the grocery store.
A lot of my meals this past month have been featuring asparagus as a main vegetable (tonight's dinner will, as well, can't wait!) so I have quite a few meals to share since it has been a while since I last posted food pictures! Here is what I have been eating asparagus with lately.


Whole wheat pasta with turkey sausage and tomatoes and oven roasted asparagus.
Pan cooked (not well, admittedly, I'm still get the knack of it down) sea bass on a bed of brown rice with grilled asparagus and grilled pears. This was some of the first things we grilled on our new grill!
Lemon-pepper grilled shrimp and grilled asparagus with red and green pepper risotto. I put some parm cheese in the risotto and I actually think it didn't do it any good, I'm gonna stick with my cheese free version next time. Also, I allowed my hubby to season the shrimp on this particular occasion and he made the shrimp inedible with the amount of lemon-pepper seasoning on it. Needless to say, I was upset, but the funniest part was that even he couldn't eat the shrimp they were so peppery!
Brined pork with a pear and raisin orange sauce and grilled asparagus. The pork, despite my overcooking it, was outstanding. This was actually a Tyler Florence recipe from the food network that I altered to be allergen free for myself- the recipe called for apples and apple juice for which I substituted pears and orange juice. It was delectable. Next time I want to try plums instead of pears though, I think the plums would be a great flavor with this meal.