Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Favorite new snacks

Maybe they aren't the healthiest snacks out there, but I have two new obsessions for snacking: Enjoy Life's Boom Choco Boom dark chocolate bar, and Panda's Raspberry "licorice" bar.
What I love about the Enjoy Life chocolate is that it is free of all the major allergens! You wouldn't believe it, but pretty much every chocolate out on the market has the allergen warning that says it "may contain a trace amount of nuts, tree nuts..." etc etc or is produced on shared equipment. Granted, some companies are just overcautious about things and put the label on no matter what, even if the non-nut and nut products are produced in completely separate buildings or on completely separate equipment. For example, I have never had a reaction to Ghiradelli chocolate even though it has the label, but I have definitely had reactions to Dove chocolate which has the same exact labeling. Anyway, the Enjoy Life bar takes away the mystery and guessing game that you get with other manufacturers, which I love. And you know what? The chocolate tastes just as good if not better! I will have to use it in my cooking soon...
The Panda licorice bar is just pure indulgence, long story short. But it is far superior to a Twizzler in that it is made with natural sugars as opposed to High Fructose Corn Syrup and Corn Syrup (which are, if I recall correctly, the first two and main ingredients in a Twizzler). It is made with Molasses, wheat flour and natural flavoring. And at only 100 calories a pop, they make a great sweet tooth fix. Honestly, after eating this I don't know why you would want to eat anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup in it... the taste and texture of these is far superior!

Now I just need to cut back on eating these so much!

1 comment:

Pilph said...

Big fan of the boom choco boom too! They're a tad pricey, but whole foods gives a 10% discount if you get them by the case...I think they come in 24/cs, which at 1.69'ish a pop, is pretty much worth it. My fave: light choco w/ crispy rice bar. Ofcoarse, I split it w/ Sean -just b/c it's light and allergy free doesn't mean it's light on my hips!