Friday, February 6, 2009

It's official, I'm hibernating

Wednesday morning I asked my personal trainer about the whole "craving fatty, sugary food" thing and he confirmed me that yes, it is quite common during the winter to prepare your body for hibernation as such. He said it's okay that I eat these fattier things so long as I still make sure I'm getting my veggies and whatnot. Granted, he did not give me a license to binge and pig out on the fattier more sugary foods, but he told me it was okay to respond to my body's seasonal food cravings.

So I had two more roast beef sandwiches this week, and some more Starbucks (including those pesky but oh so tasty vanilla cupcakes they are selling right now). I'm trying to keep it in moderation, and the really great thing is that it's not as hard as I would have thought it would be. My food cravings are so much the "I need to get a sugar high" type (or overeating, or fatty-filling, or whatever) as they are meeting an urge to give my body what it needs. Fat. And warmth. So as soon as that need is filled I could care less what I eat the rest of the day, or if I eat at all! Of course, to stay healthy I do eat, but I'm not forcing myself to fill my body with things it doesn't want (lots of cold salads, or the same sauteed veggies).

To create the balance of feeding my body what it needs, I have been eating a lot more protein... which is, I think, what it all boils down to- my body needing protein. When eating said protein I make sure that it is accompanied by fruits and/or veggies of some sort. For example, last night we had a kind of breakfast for dinner: turkey sausage covered in maple syrup, sauteed potatoes with orange pepper, and fresh cut strawberries. My husband and I couldn't believe how satisfying that meal was, and it was fairly decent on the healthy scale! For dinner tonight, I did a Stouffer's lasagna (it's Friday, I can be lazy) and served it with a salad of spring mix greens, orange pepper, hearts of palm, and cucumber. That was an awesome meal... and I made sure to eat the salad first to minimize how much lasagna I ate... cheese still is not always my friend so we keep that in moderation.

I'm rejoicing in allowing my body to want to hibernate. I am feeding it's need responsibly and with healthy food. Crazy to think that a year ago I tried to fill this need with ice cream and cookies, and it only made the need become a never-ending, insatiable craving. As Dr Phil would say, "so how's that working out for ya?" It wasn't! I feel so great now and satisfied. Such a foreign word to me after 29 years. Satisfied. It's so cool.

Oh, and apparently my talking about roast beef sandwiches rubbed off on my co-worker! I told her I was getting one for lunch today and she decided she had to have one too because it sounded so satisfying!

PS Food pix will come again soon... my camera battery died and I have yet to recharge it.

No comments: