Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Are the Food Addictions Back?

I'm struggling a little bit here. There is a possibility that my food addictions have re-reared their ugly head. Sugar being the main culprit, and Starbucks being the other.

But perhaps it's the just the "dead of winter" syndrome (okay, I totally just made that up). The longer it's cold the more your body craves heavier, fattier foods. Maybe it's just me, but I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty I have the same problem every year. All I want is fat and sugar, warm if I can get it that way. It feels like my body wants to hibernate and the foods I crave will fill me up for a long time. Conversely, in the summer all I want is light foods that will digest easily with fresh, cool flavors. And forget about wanting to cook when I'm cold, my body wants food now and I'm too cold to want to take the energy to slice and dice and saute. No way. But in the summer I can wait for the food to be just right, take the time to perfectly prepare everything.

So, are the food addictions truly back or is my body just trying to make it through the dead of winter? I had a roast beef sandwich for lunch today- and I'm talking fresh sliced REAL roast beef cooked a perfect medium- on whole wheat toast with lettuce, tomato and Dijon mustard and it hit the spot. I am not normally a heavy meats fan, so I was surprised by how well this satisfied me! Even though it wasn't warm, it was filling and good. I finished it off with a decaf cappuccino and a vanilla cupcake from Starbucks. Here's where the food addictions question comes in to play... I was so satisfied after that meal that I did not crave sugary products the rest of the day, though I did need to get a caffeinated cappuccino later (I'm trying to go caffeine free again, and I needed a pick me up at 4, what can I say, it's a process). In fact, I was so full from lunch (and my cappuccino and a fresh orange snack at 4) that figuring out dinner tonight was hard. I wasn't hungry, and I certainly wasn't craving anything. After noshing on some chips and salsa, I settled on half a warm PB & Jelly sandwich (I toasted the whole wheat flaxseed bread, it was heavenly) and some strawberries. Even though I didn't crave anything, vegetables did not sound appealing in the least. Which is why I wonder if I am still craving sugar and in denial, or it really is just my body dealing with the cold of winter?

On some days I can leave the sugary foods to the side and not care in the least about them, on other days I just eat them cuz I can. Like last week when I had more Cadbury eggs than human being should ever consume because I found out they were selling them at Walgreens. Craved them early in the week, but by the end of the week the last one just didn't satisfy and I'm no longer wanting them. Previous years, I would keep eating them and craving them, never really hitting a wall of satisfaction... at least I'm pretty sure that's how it's always been. My diet has changed so dramatically in the last 7 months I'm having a hard time distinguishing between just craving and addictions.

I can't figure it out!

No comments: