Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Must read book!


I went on a shopping spree at Borders and few weeks back with a gift certificate I had and just started reading the books I bought. There are no ifs ands or buts about it, I am addicted to the book I picked up called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Hooked. I can literally can't stop reading this book.

The book is non-fiction and follows, as the subtitle suggests, a year of life in food. Barbara and her family decided to live "off the grid" (as I would call it) for a year by only buying locally produced or farmed food and what they could harvest in their garden. The decided to do this because they saw the environmental impact the globalization of food caused and also the effects of the modernization of food making the food we eat less nutritious and less "real" (in a way). The book follows their experience but is filled with all sorts of great information about globalized and genetically modified food, as well as insights in to what it takes to grow and harvest your own food. Super cool.

My explanation of the book does not do justice to the book, but I highly recommend it. I can't wait to keep reading more!

No comments: