Monday, December 8, 2008

Let them eat cake... or not, in my case

Saturday night, in my effort to branch out with more foods that I haven't eaten in a while, I decided to make a cake. I also, made a tasty dinner to go with it, but we will get to that in a minute. Cherrybrook Kitchen makes a boxed cake and frosting mix that is free of egg, dairy, and nuts- SCORE! This concept is wonderful for the nut-allergic community especially since if you look at any packaged good nowadays it says that it may contain trace amounts of nuts. Being part of the nut allergic community, and also still limiting my dairy intake while still avoiding eggs when possible I decided to give it a go. Things went quite well at the beginning.





The batter was very scrumptious. Melted margarine and rice milk were used as the moistening/combining agent for the dry ingredients and it made for some darn good batter. Have an allergy to raw egg since about 4 or more years ago, I have missed eating raw batter! It was so good. The baked cake itself turned out quite good as well, moist and rich from all of the margarine. Albeit, it was a bit thick and heavy for my usual preference in cakes, for not having eggs in it I can't complain!


For as good as the cake was, the frosting didn't quite live up to the same standard. The concept sounded good, but the final product was anything but. The box mix called for two and a half sticks of margarine to be mixed with the scant amount of dry ingredients they gave you. After tasting it on the cake I wished I had added my own confectioner's sugar to soak up some of the oiliness of it. Even after putting the frosting in the fridge to solidify the result was no better. The frosting had a nice chocolate flavor but it is ultimately overwhelmed by the massive amounts of hydrogenated oils in the margarine. My husband and I both thought we were eating a stick of margarine. Look at the frosting, you can see the sheen from the oil!



To make matters worse, my stomach had a very difficult time digesting all of that margarine. Remember, there was a lot of margarine in the cake too! The more cake I have eaten the past few days the more it feels like there is oily sludge just sitting in my stomach, and today that sludge wanted out. Yeah... it didn't end pretty, but at least now I am feeling better! I'm sure by tomorrow my belly will finish cleaning itself out of all the margarine gunk and be ready for lots of and lots of salads... which is all I want to eat now after that much margarine!


On a positive note though, I made a nice dinner Saturday night too, which I repeated tonight since I still had some leftovers. I saw Rachel Ray make something very similar on her show 30 Minute Meals and I decided to make my own rendition of it. Roasted broccoli with lots of garlic and EVOO (my husband and my favorite thing), mashed potatoes made with chicken stock in lieu of milk, and Italian sausage turkey meatballs with tomato sauce. I think next time I will make homemade turkey meatballs instead of the stuff I got out of the casings (which is filled with all sorts of fake stuff that's not good for you) and not used a jarred tomato sauce- even though Newman's own marinara is one of my favorite marinaras out there. Seriously though, I could eat a meal of nothing but the roasted broccoli.


1 comment:

Pilph said...

Hey, great posting! I can't believe how similar your diet restrictions are to Emma Jo's!! Just this year, she grew out of her milk allergy, but she's very intolerant of it, so we avoid it altogether and egg whenever possible b/c so many people w/ nut allergy are also egg allergic. Sean's also grown an interest in your blog, and wanted to know about the raw egg allergy -does that mean JUST raw egg, so if it's cooked you can eat it, like even eggs benedict?

I agree w/ the frosting opinion...it's very hard to stir and wished I added my own frosting the very first time. I was a little surprised to hear about adding margarine to the cake mix...I used 1/2 cup vegetable oil to turn them into cupcakes and yup, the bottoms of the paper cups were kinda greasy. I thought their chocolate cake mix was far superior to the yellow mix...it's got chocolate chips in it too and using the soybean oil kept it nice and moist in cupcake form for the most part. Emma Jo's favorite thing is to go on a "treasure hunt" and dissect her cupcake looking for the choc. chips, pretty much the only chocolate she's allowed to have! Your modified dinner looks amazing, per usual, Jes! You really should consider becoming a personal chef for food allergy sufferers, no joke. At the very least, you can put together an allergy friendly cook book. With the sudden increase in food allergic kids, whole families have to go allergy free, and there's a real need for allergy sensitive cook books. Those are in high demand, and your quick substitutes are pretty genius. Please reconsider...