Thursday, July 16, 2009

Growing food and doin' a whole lot of nothin'

Well, it's been... a few...weeks. But better late than never!

The last two weeks I've been on a mission to do nothing. Absolutely nothing. Exhaustion from over committing and over socializing finally caught up and the hubs and I decided to spend some quality time being hermits. It's been wonderful. Fourth of July weekend kicked it off, and we spent all day the 4th watching movies and doing a whole lot of nothing. It was a rainy, dreary day, so that worked in favor of our goal of doing nothing, we didn't even go out for the fireworks. The rain had cleared by then, only misting occassionally, but we still didn't feel obligated to move from our comfortable positions on the couch. I think the most movement we did that day was to do a yoga video for about thirty minutes, just for the sake of movement. On the 5th we did decide to spend the morning cleaning the house, then we quickly resumed our couch potato status to finish out the weekend strong.
Last weekend we pretty much did the same thing, though not quite as many movies. Mostly computer and video games. Feeling a bit more relaxed and refreshed, and while I wish it could last longer, it's time to move on with life.
Speaking of, we finally started to harvest from our garden! We have harvested a batch of green beans (which I may or not determine to be allergic to in the near future, the verdict is still out, though things did not go well the other day with that batch or an item I got from a restaurant earlier in the week), and we've harvested a batch of cucumbers as well. The cucumbers are just fantastic. I've been enjoying them in sandwiches for lunch the last few days, and today I decided to add a slice of salami (my latest obsession) to the mix and it was divine. Can't wait to eat another for lunch tomorrow!

So I've got some new pictures of the garden to share that I took earlier this week. Who knew growing your own food could be so fun and fascinating!?


Starting to get strawberries! As of today, one is almost entirely red and ready for me to eat!



Between my two plants I have about four peppers growing, and many blossoms starting to show. Yesterday my husband and I noticed that our hot peppers were starting to get some flowers too, so we are excited for chilis and serranos to come soon!


The butternut squash plant is about to overgrow it's container. It looks really neat. Plus, I noticed the first tiny flower bud today! I love butternut squash. I can't wait to make lots of stocks and risottos and soups!
It turns out, when you grow cucumbers in a hanging position,they start to look like this. I kind of think they are cute. Didn't taste any different either, and that's what matters!
Still waiting for the tomatoes to turn red. Lots of romas working their way out!
And finally, the green beans. Not sure what I was having an allergic reaction to, so I will have to do a food challenge next time the crop is ready. They are part of the legume family, so there is a possibility that allergy is finally manifesting itself, but I'm not so sure. I'm wondering if the sauce on the ones I ate at the restaurant earlier in the week didn't have some fish sauce or something on them...

1 comment:

University of Iowa Meg said...

i totally know how you feel about overcommitting! this will be one of those weeks i'm afraid. today is my only "free" day. :(