Sunday, May 10, 2009

Recovery

Last night I had a wonderful night with two of our closest friends, Stevi and Jason. We went to June for dinner (see previous blog) and shared great conversation and, perhaps, a bit too much wine. The food was to die for and the wine was amazing, and since my gallbladder did not complain once the whole time I kept drinking away. Self control was not one of my strong suits last night. :)

So today I am in recovery. While there were no GB complaints from the wine yesterday, this morning my liver definitely is giving me some payback. Nausea is present, but, thankfully, manageable. To get things back on track and let my liver recover I am eating small meals and keeping things vegetarian this next week. Lots of water is in order as well. I'm listening to my body, which can be really hard sometimes! I tried ignoring it at dinner tonight when it told me to stop eating all the yummy food I prepared and ended up nauseous for about 30 minutes afterwards.

I think one of the greatest challenges for anyone following a restricted diet/lifestyle is managing social outings, such as the one I had last night. And of course once you've had a few drinks you let your guard down even more and those strict dietary guidelines you were following go to the wayside. For me, I did excellent on not overeating last night, which I think prevented the GB complaints I usually get. However, I did overindulge in the wine and am dealing with the consequences thereof today. It's a delicate balance and I think that finding a happy medium on "having a good time" and paying attention to your health is doable. While I may have erred a bit on the side of "having a good time" last night, I am refocusing on the health now and am thankful that I didn't go so far to make myself really sick like I have in the past. I consider that a victory.

No comments: