Monday, May 4, 2009

Homemade cupcakes

For the past few weeks I've been having cravings for cupcakes. While I think I'm over it (finally) as of today, I still want to take a quick minute to share the best of the cupcakes I've had. Homemade cupcakes using a wonderful "celiac safe" flour mixture that I discovered at the Food Allergy Expo I went to a few weeks ago.

I never got around to blogging about the expo which is due in part to the fact that I didn't take any pictures. I had my camera with me, but didn't quite get the gumption up to take pictures as the show like I thought I would. I think part of that is due to the lack of attendance, both by attendees and exhibitors at the show. My girlfriend Jen and I had a great time sampling all the allergy free food and talking with other exhibitors, as well, about products that would help us live our lives healthier. Jen has more food sensitivities than I do, so it was great to go with her! I was sad to see the expo so poorly attended, but I know that everyone who attended came away with a lot of great resources for food and other allergy friendly services. Hopefully next year they do a better job of getting more exhibitors and advertising in the food sensitive communities better-- my friend with Celiac didn't even know about it a week ahead of time and she is very active in the community!

Anyway, while at the expo I found this fantastic company that makes Celiac-safe flour mixtures. Jen and I could not stop sampling their foods! They were moist and delicious and light just like you would expect a non-celiac-safe bread to be. The company is Toro who is part of the Swedish company Tastes Like Real Food. Lucky me, I was able to find the flour mixture at my local health and wellness store! I was ecstatic.

I decided to make the vanilla cupcake recipe from their website and it was quite good. From the Jello pudding mix in it I thought I got a bit firm, but I may have put a bit too much in or the fact that I was using rice milk instead of regular milk might have been what altered the texture. Nonetheless, they were excellent and my hubby and I couldn't stop eating them.


Looking at them you would never guess they were Celiac-safe, would you? They look like any other cupcake mix!
Of course, my favorite part was the homemade frosting on top. Sooooo good!

No comments: