Thursday, May 28, 2009

Protein cravings


I don't know what was with yesterday, but I needed protein. That was pretty much all I ate yesterday. I started the day good, eating the snack/meal you see above of spinach, light spreadable cheese, and rye crisps with some deli sliced summer sausage. The day didn't end as healthy though. Protein cravings went haywire! Here is a note I sent to my girlfriend yesterday about it. I figured it was easier to copy and paste this rather than rewrite the story...

Funny thing is, I'm usually not a protein nut at all! Even around that time of the month. This time apparently is different though. I started bloating a week ago (which freaking annoying! I feel like my gut is busting out, it's so uncomfortable!), and now today I started craving some serious meat product! Weirdo! This period is going to be rough, and I still have a week till it gets here!

The craving started after my personal training session this morning. I literally went straight to the grocery store to buy some turkey sausage. It was baaaaad! Ate that and some rye cracker with soft cheese on it (also don't eat cheese cuz of the dairy intolerance issues, right?). For lunch I ate the crackers with cheese again and put some summer sausage Griffin had in the fridge on it with some of my farmer's market spinach. It was soooo good!

Then I'm doing my weekly acupuncture session, and while my mind is wandering and I'm in my zen place I start thinking about how my VEGAN girlfriend had a status update earlier today that she was craving a Big Mac. I started laughing to myself.... and then, I got super hungry for a Big Mac! Ugh! Luckily my co-worker had a piece of chicken in the fridge she wasn't going to eat so I had that for a snack.

The rest of the day went on and by closing I hadn't eaten dinner yet, and that was at 8:30pm. The Big Mac craving was in full swing again... needed protein. So I got the Big Mac once Griffin agreed to share it with me, and picked him up a McFlurry, too. I haven't had ice cream in almost a year but it took all my willpower to NOT eat his McFlurry on the way home. Ice cold dairy sounded soooooo good! One small victory for the day, at least I didn't indulge in that! Anyway, I cut the Big Mac in half intending to give Griffin half of it. I was a good girl and ate my veggies from the dinner I originally planned to eat before eating the Big Mac. They tasted really good and I almost didn't eat the Big Mac, but the smell was too alluring. I couldn't eat just half. I had half of the other half too, and Griffin got mad he wouldn't get his whole half. :)

I'm already drooling about turkey sausage for breakfast tomorrow... can't wait. Yum. Protein.

And PS, I don't eat red meat, or cheese anymore and today that was all I wanted! And my acupuncturist, despite me having eaten these things today, commented on how my tongue looked better- no problem with the liver or gallbladder! What gives!

Needless to say, the Big Mac reminded me why I don't eat them anymore. Thankfully, no GB attacks, but definitely had some serious indigestion. Still proud of myself for not eating the ice cream- almost at the one year mark, don't want to ruin things now!
Just thought I would share some pics of the McDonald's breakdown. First, the calorie and nutrition info of said Big Mac. GROSS!!!! Then, my first attempt at trying to cut the Big Mac in half... yeah, I halved the other half after that. Thankfully no Big Mac cravings today. I don't need that nutritionally deficient overly processed and genetically engineered "food."

No comments: