Monday, May 11, 2009

Baking Bread

Last week I was really in to making homemade bread. I made two separate batches, in fact. Early in the week I made Celiac-safe lemon poppy seed bread with the leftover Toro flour that I had. No joke, it is the best lemon poppy seed bread ever and you would never know it was gluten-free. My husband and I ate two loaves worth in two days. Yup, it was that good. To up the quality factor of the recipe I used fresh grated lemon peel and lemon juice in lieu of lemon extract. Why spend $4 to get a bottle of something that isn't lemon at all and is really just flavored sugar water (read the label, that's pretty much what it is) when for 50cents I can use the real thing and get just as much if not more flavor. So that's what I did and it was great.



Look at how moist it is!



Since that bread baking experience went over so well I decided I would be spend my day off on Thursday making Cinnamon Raisin Bread. I've been craving the cinnamon rolls over at Panera lately, so homemade cinnamon raisin bread seemed like the logical thing to make. The recipe made three loaves and we had the first two finished off by Saturday morning. The third loaf still remains, but we are slowly chipping away at it. :) Next time I'm going to add more raisins, I think.




Next time more raisins and hopefully whole wheat flour to up the health quotient. This was a great start though!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

recipes??

Unknown said...

I added links to the recipes... sorry I forgot to do that!