Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Decisions, decisions

I've started formally announcing it to friends and coworkers, so I guess it's time I formally announce it to the blogger world. No, no babies. Stop jumping to conclusions people... I promise the title of that post when that time comes will be much more obvious. Until then, stop speculating on the status of my uterus. :)

Here's the big news: I've decided that I am going to pursue a degree in Holistic Nutrition.

Cool, huh?

Well, it's cool to me at least. I'm really excited about it. In an odd, or maybe not so odd, way I feel like I've been on a journey the last ten or so years of my life that brought me to this place. I've gone through so many ups and downs with my health and everytime I experience an up in my health it's because I have focused on nutrition and natural supplementation. All of the downs involved massive quantities of prescription and OTC meds and lots of bad food. Through it all, I have cooked. I have obsessed about watching Food TV, I have obsessed with trying new foods and restaurants, I have obsessed with making things work for my food allergies and restrictions. I am passionate about this in a way I have never been passionate about anything before, and the response I get to my healthy food is positive and encouraging that I'm doing something right. And it's something people want to know more about.

There are more and more people out there looking for solutions to their health problems, hitting dead end after dead end with diets of the moment and doctors throwing prescriptions meds and surgical knives at them to put band-aids on the problem. I want to be able to (intelligently) help people discover natural solutions/options and make them a part of their lives. Nutrition changed my life, and I believe proper nutrition can make a whole lot of change for this country.

So, I've started researching Holistic Nutrition programs with a focus on distance learning. Leaving my full-time job is not an option financially, nor is moving away from my husband (who's company will probably have us located where we are for years to come) to join a hoard of teeny-boppers at a college campus somewhere else in the country. Having only ever taken one online class before during undergrad, I'm not sure what school or program to choose. I think online would work well for me, but a correspondence only program- while more streamlined and fast-paced- scares me a little that I won't have a shred of accountability short of my own willpower.

Of the two programs I'm looking at, the correspondence only one is much cheaper and I could have a working degree in a year that would allow me to start practicing professionally before I complete the higher levels of the certification program. The online program would get me a Masters Degree in Holistic Nutrition, but is quite expensive in the long run and requires at least a year of me taking prerequisite courses before starting the actual degree program. I'm hoping there's a happy medium program out there somewhere that I haven't found yet.

What would you do?

2 comments:

Joshua said...

Comparison time!

Take this as an example:

You can go to a state law school that costs $16K per year for three years.

-OR-

You can go to a private law school and pay $40K per year.

In the end, no matter which law school you go to you still have a practicing law degree and the same amount of education. The only difference is that you're $100K more in debt with the private school.

Taking all that into account, is there a difference at all in the end result of the education? If the one option allows you to study for a year and begin practicing after one year while continuing the education process, do it. Unless you think it would be more beneficial to have it all in hand before going out the door. Either way, I think you need to see what the end result is for both programs. If they get you to the same place in close to the same amount of time, while with the one you get to start doing it in practice earlier, and the other costs you more, I think the choice is clear.

My 0.02 anyway.

Also, did you get either of my emails last week?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the $0.02, Josh! Makes sense, and the end result of all the degree programs I am looking at are pretty much the same- as is the coursework, with minor variations.

Did not get any messages from you last week... where did you send them? E-mail my gmail account, it's listed on FB.