Monday, February 1, 2010

A bit disappointed...

I was so excited about that red velvet cake yesterday! Can't say the results lived up to the anticipation though. The cake itself is quite good, but the frosting, well, not so much.

For the cake I doubled the vegan cupcake recipe I used this summer from Bittersweet blog. Those cupcakes were amazing, so why not, right? I didn't have the canned beets it called for so I used the beet juice I have in my fridge and mixed in some of my homemade pear sauce to add some texture. Viola, worked perfect. Plus, to make the cake heatlhier I used succant for half of the sugar (that was all I had left) and used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose. Fiber, yum!

Look at the beautiful color!


It tasted as good as it looks too! I couldn't stop licking the spatula- the sweetness of the beets and chocolate powder was a perfect match and made for some very addicting flavors!

Note to self, however- DO NOT wear your favorite white sweatshirt while working with beets or beet juice or anything beet related.


The cakes came out of the oven smelling all chocolately and sweet and the color was just divine.

I made the frosting recipe from the Go Dairy Free blog recipe yesterday. BIG disappointment. Ruined my cake, if you ask me. Needs more sugar, the flavor is bland and has the texture of licking shorterning. Your mouth feels coated with shortening for about 30 minutes after eating it. The sweetness just isn't there, you don't get that salty sweet combo of a traditional butter cream, and it comes no where near having the flavor of a cream cheese frosting (even though I never liked cream cheese even when I was eating dairy, THAT would have been more flavorful than this). I used the Earth Balance shortening sticks, and I don't know if that was where I went wrong, but I don't think so. I think it needs more sugar and more rice milk to balance it out and get some more flavor in there.
At least the cake looks pretty, right?



No comments: