Sunday, February 7, 2010

An Allergy-Friendly Super Bowl Party

Ok, just want to post a quick note about what a great experience I had at the Super Bowl Party I attended tonight. The hostess surprised me by asking what my food allergies/restrictions were ahead of time, and even sent me her menu so I knew what she would have ahead of time! I was just gobsmacked! As a food allergy sufferer, it is the coolest thing in the world when you can go to a party and feel like the hostess has made sure to have options for you. She even pointed out that she would keep the carrots (one of my "interesting" food allergies) seperate from the other veggies, and made a point to mention that the Italian beef eggrolls she was making were both carrot-free and some would be made specially for me without cheese!

Now, being the super conscious allergenista I am, I did bring my own dish to pass and let her know I would be doing so ahead of time. This is always a good idea, especially if you aren't 100% the menu will be safe. I was concerned by the number of items she was offering with cheese in them, so for me it was a "just in case" back-up plan. While I didn't need it- there was plenty I could eat- the homemade guacamole and two salsas I made were enjoyed by all and a great compliment to what she was already serving. I promise pictures will be coming very soon.

I did overeat, but I felt good in knowing that the food I was eating was healthy and safe for me. Ok, the football shaped chocolate rice krispie treats weren't healthy, but at least the chips, salsa, guacamole, fruits (she had a TON of fruit, yeah!), and Italian beef eggrolls (not fried, they were baked) were nutritionally worth it. Nonetheless, I think a fast is in order for tomorrow...

No comments: