Sunday, January 3, 2010

Taking My Dedication to Another Level



Yup, I'm obsessed. Not that there was any doubt about my obsession and conviction about natural health and healing, but now I own the definitive proof.

I was hanging out at the local natural foods store, picking up castor oil for a "cheater" (read: not involving drinking massive quantities of EVOO and lemon juice) gallstone cleanse that I am going to try (more on that another day), and noticed a lovely book section in the store. Having had several conversations recently with friends who are currently relying on conventional medicine to treat their symptoms (note, I did not say problems- because in all three cases this is what is happening, treating symptoms and not addressing underlying causes, and all three are different problems), and not seeing results/relief my interest has repeaked in gaining knowledge about healing the body naturally. Whether it be back pain and sciatica, infertility, heartburn, or gallstones there are natural solutions that actually treat the underlying cause. Conventional medicine gives you a pill to treat the symptoms. Anyway, I digress... and the point is, I found this book, Prescription for Nutritional Healing and knew I found my bible.

While I haven't gone as far as to snuggle up with it in bed, I absolutely adore this book and am stupidly excited about having it as a reference guide in my home! Furthermore, it gives me more tools to talk to people about caring for their ailments naturally- and not just my personal testimonials (of which, I have many).

Will anyone listen to me? That's yet to be seen. Some are more receptive to the natural options, having gone long enough with conventional medicine not seeing results and ready to try ANYTHING (kind of where I was when I made the leap too), but most are still in the conventional medicine mindset, lacking the knowledge of the body's innate ability to heal itself. Of course, the body can't heal itself if it's not well taken care of and things kept in check and this is actually where the bigger problem lies. Living in a fast food, processed, microwaved world, where many in my generation don't know how to follow a recipe for roasting a chicken and vegetables it's a big hill, make that mountain to travel. And as only a single voice in this growing movement, there is only so much I can do, but I'm not going to give up. Someday, that little bug I put in some one's ear is finally going to be heard and they too will discover how much better their life can be and true and lasting healing can actually be achieved by helping the body do what it was meant to do.

On that note, I want to dedicate this blog post to the person who started me on my journey to natural healing over 10 years ago. Pat Bickett, the mother of a dear friend of mine from high school, gave me my first acupuncture treatment. At this point I had been dealing with chronic shooting pain in to my arms and hands for over a year, had tried cortisone shots with no relief and been on a series of heavy duty prescription NSAIDs which I now know had already been causing long term damage to my liver. At the time Pat was still studying acupuncture and, at her daughter's suggestion, offered to treat me for free as part of her schooling.

I was freaked out about the needles. I didn't do needles. But I was desperate and willing to try anything if it meant the pain would stop, if only temporarily. So, I agreed to try it. She promised not to show me the needles and allowed me to sip some hot peppermint tea to relax before we began the session. She sat me in a chair and placed needles along my arms, hands, and a few in my legs (if I remember correctly). I was surprised to find the needles didn't hurt at all. There was the slight sensation when she put them in, but after that it didn't feel like anything. Feeling brave, I opened my eyes to peek at the needles. They weren't near as big as I thought they would be- laser thin, long, and with a weird slightly large top for where she held them. It wasn't so bad afterall. About thirty minutes later she pulled them out and the session was done. Although I don't believe I ever went back to see her, I did notice that the pain was markedly reduced after that session. A month or so later, I decided to find an acupuncturist to do more treatment, and found one who did chiropractic as well at the suggestion of another friend. The rest is history, chiropractic found the underlying cause and fixed it, and years later when conventional medicine had failed me again, I remember Pat and rediscovered the healing power of acupuncture and met Dr. Kramer.

To say my one experience with Pat was life changing would both be completely accurate and an understatement at the same time. She introduced me a different kind of healing and even though the bug she placed in my ear lay dormant for awhile, I heard it again when it was time and I am forever changed because of it. Because of her, I learned about healing the body naturally and it has now encompassed my entire life and way of being. I am forever grateful.

Sadly, Pat Bickett passed away on New Year's Eve a few days ago. She is in my thoughts now more than ever. I am forever blessed to have met her and been healed by her. She touched my life in profound ways and her memory will live on in me and the thousands of other people lucky enough to have met her.

No comments: