Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St Patty's Day!




Being partially Irish, I follow the tradition of eating corned beef, cabbage and potatoes on St. Patty's Day. While the consumption of this "not so healthy" foods is going over better than last year (seem to recall having a gallbladder attack), I can't say my stomach is 100% happy with me. There is some definite churning going on, though I am sure it will pass soon.




In honor of not talking about unhealthy Irish food and because I am way overdue, I thought it would be a good day to share some more food pix!
I've got two soups to share today. First up, a Leafy Green Soup that was absolutely divine. The recipe was out of a healthy Crock Pot recipe book that I have, though I opted to make it the quicker way on the stove. It's filled with leeks, potato, kale, arugala and topped with parsley. It was both refreshing and filling at the same time and made for some very satisfactory meals when paired with some triscuits (I like whole wheat things). The recipe had actually called for swiss chard, but they didn't have any at the grocery store so I swapped it for the kale- definitely a good call!
The second soup was my attempt at making a chicken soup in the crockpot. While not a massive fail, it wasn't my usual level of spectacularness in culinary creations. I had attempted to follow a gluten free recipe for the same thing on a gluten-free blog I follow (I will not name names to protect the innocent), but it didn't work. The recipe said to leave the skin on the chicken and it made for one very fatty and not satisfying soup. The hubby liked it, but his threshold for eating super fatty foods it higher than mine. After letting the fat rise when it cooled and taking some off the top, it helped a bit on reheating, but the damage had already been done and the fat was overpowering any other flavors in it. I might try this again, but will definitely be leaving the skin off.
That's all I've got for today, but I promise pictures of some vegetarian whole wheat fajitas I made soon! I need to get back in the kitchen more, so I can share more healthy eats!
In the meantime, drink some green (though be careful of too much food coloring!) beer and have a great St Patty's Day!

No comments: