Monday, March 1, 2010

A Bittersweet Anniversary

Woke this morning like any other day. Nothing significant to report, nothing exciting going on. However, as the morning progressed I realized I had hit a major milestone today. It was while I was blow drying my hair that it dawned on me- today is a significant day in my life.

Two years ago I made the decision to change the course of my life. Rearrange my priorities and stand up for becoming the woman I knew I needed to be, unrestrained and free to learn and grow. Those first six months were hell. Heck, the six months leading up to the decision were hell, too. There were points at which I thought for sure I was going to end up strapped in a white jacket in a white padded room, but I made it through. I regained my life, my sense of self, my health, my marriage, and my sanity. It didn't all come at once. Some of it is still coming as I write this. But, two years ago today my life was forever changed.

I'm not quite ready to put all the sorrid details out here in the blogosphere, though I'm sure it would be therapeutic. For the time being, I still prefer to be vague and non-descript on the subject and the details pertaining to the change. However, I will say this, I took the path less traveled and it has made all the difference. It was, to date, the hardest decision I ever had to make and creating that change for myself was down right grueling and ugly.

So, it's a bittersweet anniversary. I am happy and joyful to mark this milestone though there is still a part of me that is horribly sad about what I had to let go of in order to create this wonderfully positive reality for myself. However, I know that if I hadn't made that change I would not be where I am today with the focus, drive, passion, and overall health for living my life to it's fullest. And that is what lets me know that the choice I made to change was the right one.

Here is to the true anniversary of my journey in to "Breaking Bubbles."

No comments: