Tuesday, March 9, 2010

B Vitamins: The Happy Pill

Ok, I know I said I was going to blog about all the reasons I hate cheese today, but a certain someone didn't do their self-help homework last night. Good news is, I'm pretty sure I am now disgusted by cheese and the strong cravings are going away. Eating my leftover pizza with goat cheese on it for lunch made me feel sick after the first bite. It didn't stop me from continuing to eat it, but it did make me not want to eat it again. Hubby is officially getting what is left of that pizza. Next time, I'm going back to my cheese-free pizza- it really does taste better, if you ask me. It's a flavor that's satisfying but pleasing to my senses all at once.

Today I want to talk about B Vitamins, or, as I like to call them, my "Happy" pills. Probably about five years ago I discovered the magic of B Vitamins and they have become my stand-by for energy and mood lift whenever that "funk" just won't go away on it's own. For some people, it takes a few days or weeks for the full effects of a B Vitamin supplement to kick in, but for me the results of getting an energy boost are practically instantaneous. I didn't deem them "happy" pills for nothing- sometimes I can feel downright giddy while taking them because they make me feel so good. I was telling a coworker the other day that if drug manufacturers did a trial using a placebo of a B vitamin versus their drug, I bet the B vitamin would be just as, if not more, effective than their side effect filled drug. Now, no self-respecting drug manufacturer would do that because they would lose money, but I tell you- these things work!

When we are stressed our body expends B Vitamins in massive quantities. This is part of our fight or flight response. Unfortunately, they can get depleted quickly and when we are under duress for long amounts of time (which is the current American lifestyle- stress, stress, stress) our body is not able to replenish them adequately. B vitamins are essential to many body functions, but are very important to hormonal balance. They help to keep our hormones on an even keel and when in adequate supply allow us to feel relaxed and at ease. In addition to that, they give us energy!

I'm not a doctor or a naturopath or anything of the sort, but I do know they work. For the past five days I have been taking them and it has made a huge difference in my energy levels. Hence the fact I am posting this blog at a time during which I should be in bed reading a book and getting ready for bed. I have lots of energy and need to concentrate it somewhere! Funny enough, despite the extended energy I am also sleeping better. Once my head hits that pillow I am out for the whole night. I'm not waking up in the middle of the night (which is common for me) or tossing and turning endlessly before bed. And even though I may not want to get out of bed in the morning still (what self-respecting person does, come on! It's so warm and cozy under the covers!) I do feel much more rested when I get up. Forget the coffee, I've got my happy pills!

In addition to happy pills, today I made a great leafy green soup (which is filled with B vitamins!). I forgot to take a pic, but I promise I will try to remember when I'm eating it tomorrow! The color is so rich and vibrant green and the taste is healthy and very satisfying- the cheese and crackers I was eating it with tasted so bland in comparison!

And I promise, the cheese is almost all gone. It is going to feel really good to go dairy free again. :)

2 comments:

Renee said...

Hi Jes, Josh's mom here :-) I've been reading your blog and really enjoying it. Number 1 reason is because I too have food allergies/sensitivities. We have always known that bovine dairy products can induce asthma attacks - allergy induced asthma docs call it. I found out several years ago that eggs and yeast affect me as well. Like you, I also eat what I know I shouldn't & actually crave them sometimes! - I call it gastronomic roulette - sometimes I win, most times I lose.
So, keep up the fun blog entries, I like to see what you're cooking up!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited to hear you like the blog! And not to worry, more food stuff coming, and more info on food allergies (working on a second blog with my friend dedicated to allergies- I'll keep you posted when we get it up and running). It IS gastronomic roulette sometimes, isn't it? Today, I am definitely losing, blech!