Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My new favorite food: The perfect vegetarian pizza

After realizing that since the stomach flu bought my diet had gotten a bit off track (and I was noticing the difference with my digestion) I needed something easy to make, eat, and super tasty (like always). Dairy was starting to bother my gallbladder- probably, due to the massive amounts of cheese I consumed over a 5 day period, which still paled in comparison to what I use to consume- so I thought why not try a cheeseless pizza? Load it with tons of veggies and make it with whole wheat dough, but skip the cheese and see how it tastes, ya know? I could not have made a better dish!!!! Doing my usual thing I compiled a few different recipes and made my own rendition of an old favorite. I made homemade whole wheat dough for the crust to add fiber, nutrition and flavor, and topped it with a homemade tomato sauce and tons of veggies. I topped it off with some EVOO and fresh herbs. So good!


Look at how beautifully all the veggies roasted and the beautiful carmelization of the tomato sauce on the crust.


Not only was this super tasty and super healthy, but it definitely got my digestion "regular" again, if you know what I mean. Talk about fiber! One of my girlfriends is coming over for dinner on Saturday night and I think I will do a reprise of this recipe, but in a "create your own" pizza way. I'm sure my husband will like it, especially topped with disgusting amounts of cheese... though the pizza does not need it at all! I didn't miss it or want it the flavors will so rich! To make it non-vegetarian and add some protein, I've been eating the leftovers with turkey-roni and it's quite good with it!


I love the flexibility of pizza and I can't wait to play with variations on this creation this weekend!

No comments: