Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Fish, Chicken, and Meatballs

As promised, I have more tasty meals to share with you. It's funny how after so long you get bored with what you are eating and feel as though you are running out of "creative" ideas of things to cook. Sometimes, you have to go back to basics and maybe make a twist on it, or cook something that is tasty but ridiculously easy to make. I think these three meals fit that bill perfectly. And, they are all really healthy!
I had a bottle of white wine that I needed to finish the other night and I was craving fish at the same time, so throw them together under the broiler and you have a really satisfying meal! Not to mention how a glass of that same wine with the fish that was poached in it tasted! Magnifique! Keeping it light and healthy we paired it with bread and salad with homemade white wine vinaigrette dressing. And FYI, homemade dressing is so easy to make and tastes so much better that I think it is silly to spend money on salt and chemically laden shelf stable stuff. Seriously... throw them out and start making your own, it's so easy a two year old could do it: Oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and herbs if you want them for added flavor. Anyway, I cooked a cod for this recipe but tried it a few days later with halibut and it was just as good. I seasoned the fish with salt, pepper, and my Sunny Paris Seasoning from the Spice House.
With the cold weather we've been having I also wanted something quick and easy to make that was filling and warming. In come the meatballs. We make our meatballs with ground turkey and season them with another Spice House seasoning blend, Rocky Mountain Seasoning. We top it off with a simple mushroom pasta sauce simply because my husband and I love the mushroom ones. Usually I try to go for the Newman's Own brand because of the high quality ingredients and depth of flavor, but my husband went shopping that day so we did the store brand which was good and quite economical (BTW store brands are good things, trust me on this one I was in the grocery industry, they are pretty much the same as the name brands and in some cases are actually made by the name brand companies!). Anyway, I like rotini pasta so we served it on that. And it was sooooo good.
Finally, is a meal I made twice in a three day period my husband and I loved it so much. I got the recipe out of Real Simple magazine. It's a lightly breaded chicken, seasoned with lemon zest, cumin, and salt and pepper cooked with green olives, shallots, Italian flat leaf parsley, white wine, and lemon juice. I decided it needed another ingredient to up the veggie quotient so I added baby bella mushrooms since they are a natural pairing with white wine. My husband and I hummed through the whole meal. We served it with a microwaved Yukon gold potato so that we could soak up the extra sauce with it. And btw, it tastes just as good reheated the next day. The lighting sucks on this, but hopefully you get the idea. I need to remember to take pictures in my kitchen instead of my dining room, the lighting is better in there.

No comments: