Monday, November 23, 2009

Returned from the unknown... or something like it

I've been a bit delinquent. Ok, "a bit" might be an understatement, I've been very delinquent. It's been a few months since I've updated ye' old blog, but I promise it's because I was achieving beautiful and wonderful things. Which is actually totally true- I spent from August to October checking off a major item on the bucket list. The pride and sense of accomplishment I feel at having done that are immeasurable, and it has propelled me forward in my life with momentum I had lost somewhere along the way. It feels good to be back. :)

Over the past few months I've had the usual ups and downs with my health, but nothing too traumatic. I actually even spent a few weeks experimenting with/testing my food allergy to apples. At first, things went really well! I did several food challenges, spaced days or weeks apart eating organic apples. I was excited to discover that perhaps the food allergy had been a sensitivity to the pesticides and chemicals sprayed on the conventional apples!

And then, the itching started. A few weeks in to the challenge, when I was starting to eat the apples more closely together (days vs weeks) I noticed my ears starting to get itchy every time I ate one. Then I started to notice that I got full very quickly while eating them- just like with seafood when it's not cooked completely or I've been eating it to frequently. My body started to let me know it was at its breaking point. Wanting to give it one more go, I decided to test apple juice.

The taste of the juice on my lips was like pure gold and I gulped it down with a delight I can't explain in words. The taste was a symphony on my tongue- an old familiar friend coming back in to my life with a warm embrace.

Well, that warm embrace lasted less than two minutes. My right eye started to feel like it was bulging out of my head and an intense headache started to develop. About fifteen minutes later I felt like I needed to sleep and was so drowsy I headed straight for bed (thank goodness it was a Saturday). I was out cold. The puddle of drool that I awoke to was probably fit for a world record title of some sort. It was probably a good two-three solid hours that I slept (and drooled) after drinking the juice. Grouchy and groggy doesn't begin to explain how crappy I felt-- food allergy hangovers are unforgiving.

It was just over two weeks ago that I did the apple juice challenge and my body has not been the same since. Hives on my body, renewed sensitivities to body care products (even the hypoallergenic ones), irritation in my eyes that appears to be at some points like a mild form of pink eye from allergies, and continued sensitivities to food. Needless to say apples are out.

I was so looking forward to drinking apple cider or making an apple pie, but I guess I will have to stick with pears. But you know what? Pears are pretty darn good too!

No comments: